Dang it....they didn't get the Red tint coat quite right! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dang it....they didn't get the Red tint coat quite right!

Dr Plastic

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'15 Limited FWD
Got my Ex back from getting my rear end damage fixed....It looks like they didn't quite get the tint coat right!

IMG_20130204_165653_809-vi.jpg

IMG_20130204_165632_512-vi.jpg

IMG_20130204_165618_724-vi.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know its a difficult color to blend, but still I'd make them fix that....

Its even more difficult when its plastic. In fact, I have seen many new off the lot vehicles where the plastic portion did not quite match the metal painted portions. Alot of it depends on the lighting and angle as well making it more or less noticeable.

Was your front bumper repaired at all? Look at the front bumper and the tow plug, as well as the gas filler cover and spoiler. Those typically are the areas where you'll see some differences when comparing it to the metal portions.

I'm color blind and I can see the difference. Just a shade off, why did they even give it back to you?

Whoa What the....

WOW. I'd say be nice about it and ask them to try again. If they say no, then Demand that they do it over again.

1. Red is rather difficult to match
2. It's plastic which makes it even harder to match

Did they 'blend' the paint onto the rear 1/4 like they should have?

Same thing with my 2010 red Mustang. They blended the hood and fender, but yea, it's a tough color to get right. It hurts more because they painted the bumper and you can see the two colors distinctly standing out.

It's amazing with today's technology that they still can't get it right. I'm getting my hood repainted due to a defect and I hope they get it to match.

Its even more difficult when its plastic. In fact, I have seen many new off the lot vehicles where the plastic portion did not quite match the metal painted portions. Alot of it depends on the lighting and angle as well making it more or less noticeable.

The blazing copper metallic on my wife's '07 Edge is like that... Some light/angles it matches, others t looks like bth bumpers ave been replaced.

The quality of the paintwork looks good from the pics but yes, that is off. Since the bumper goes so high up on the sides it is alot more noticeable. Sure hope they make it right for you!

I plan on calling them next week. I am on a fence about it as in some ways it shows up lighter but for the most part it is darker......

I have put in my claim for Diminished value though

I had some work done on a red candy. The body shop guy warned me in advance that it was impossible to perfectly match the tinted clearcoat colors between the metal body and the plastic bumpers. He even showed me that from particular angles the factory paint looked darker on the bumper than the body.

My guy got it really close though - probably better than the factory.

I agree with the off the lot cars being slightly different on plastic and metal. I worked in the car business for 6 years and saw plenty of cars that looked off. Dodge was the worst (from '06 to '09 i'd say). Some of them looked like they were painted in different decades.

Thats why I said to look at the fuel door, front tow cap/bumper and spoiler. Even on my factory painted, I can see those plastic areas look darker. More apparent with certain light and angles. This is for the Pearl White too, I'm sure its worse with the darker colors.

I had some damage repaired to a silver metallic Highlander I had and didn't notice a slight difference in the shade on the rear 1/4 paner until a few month later when I viewed the vehicle from a distance. It was about a year old.
It looks like you had some pin stripes added.

Peter

Back