• Register Today It's free!

Dash & Door material

scotted73

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited 4WD
I have a question about the material used in the dash and doors. I have a 2012 Explorer Limited and the dash and front doors use a "soft touch" material. The rear doors do not; they use a standard plastic material.

Does anyone know what the extent of the "soft touch" material is used? Is it only used in these areas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question about the material used in the dash and doors. I have a 2012 Explorer Limited and the dash and front doors use a "soft touch" material. The rear doors do not; they use a standard plastic material.

Does anyone know what the extent of the "soft touch" material is used? Is it only used in these areas?
Only the top half of the front doors is the soft touch material the bottom half is not.
The rear side doors only have the soft touch material on the part that the arm rests are attached to.
First class sits up front. Economy passengers ride in the back.:D

Peter

Thank you.

I have not been shorted on material.
Although, it would be nice to have the "soft touch" material run at least to the top half of the rear doors. I can understand not having it in the third row as it doubles as the cargo area and the material could be easily damaged.

Maybe that's the reason on the rear doors since it doubles as cargo room when the seats are down?

I always assumed it was for greater durability since the youngin's would be tearing up the car and most likely sitting in the second row.

My wife has an 08 Hyundai Veracruz Limited AWD and DVD. 7 seaters. Second row contains soft materials on the doors and perforated leather seats. Holds up well with my 3 and 4 year olds.

I was pretty disappointed in the showroom when I was checking out the explorer. Feels like ford was trying to pull a fast one.

But, I purchased it anyway because of the tech stuff. My Sync has been pretty good and the SUV has very few defect that I can find.

I always assumed it was for greater durability since the youngin's would be tearing up the car and most likely sitting in the second row.

Back