• Register Today It's free!

Dash Plastic Removal: Need Advice

Pirate

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Just bought my first Explorer this week... Pearl White 98 Limited ... sweeet.. Damn good looking vehicle and purrs like Cameron Diaz on 'ludes..

I do have a question... a minor one. The guy that owned it before me was a traveling salesman and he installed some sort of phone holder on the dash that MUST go. It extends out from the center, lower dash area. So far I can NOT figure out how to remove the plastic rectangular ring that surrounds the radio/AC/ CD area in order to remove his bracket. I see TWO screws down low, but I removed them and this plastic ring piece stills seems unmovable..

I don't want to risk breaking the damn thing by prying and my only alternatives seem to be to take it to a dealer with astroglide in hand or take it to a Hi-Fi Install shop and let them pull the piece.

1. After removing the 2 screws... how does this rectangular piece come off?
2... or should I take it to a pro to remove it?

Opinions for a newbie?

TIA all..

as far as i know you remove the ash tray and then there are two screws (maybe bolts) that you take out. after that you can just peel the black trim from around the radio, AC control, and the vents. i believe there is a better explanation in the Audio Forums "Quick Reference"... somewhere near the bottom where it explains how to remove the stock head unit.

Back