Day off tomorrow. Few projects for my new 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. Anything else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Day off tomorrow. Few projects for my new 2002 Ford Explorer XLT. Anything else?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
I got the day off tomorrow and I have a couple projects I want to knock out. Just picked this 2002 Ford Explorer XLT up a couple weeks back so I thought I would do a couple first time things with it.

1. Plugs and wires.

Which Motorcraft plugs do I want to get? Autozone only seems to have one set which is:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Motorcraft Platinum/Spark Plug

For your 2002 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD 4.0L EFI SOHC 6cyl
Price: $4.99
Part Number: SP-500
--------------------------------------------------------------

These the right ones for my XLT then? Also are they any guides to changing these things for the 2002 Exploder XLT?

As for wires, obviously the Motorcraft set for the 02 XLT.

2. Change the lube on my transfer case and maybe the front/rear diff.

I have some Mobile 1 75~90 and 75~140wt sync gear lube, this ok? I also have some Redline Lightweight (blue) and Heavy Weight (red) Shock Proof sync gear lube. Will either of these work or what do I need?

3. Oil Change.

Self explanatory. Don't need help there. I got 5~30wt Mobile 1 and a K&N Gold Oil Filter. Just happens to be on the list of things do to.

4. Ford Dealer Updates and Recalls.

Want to have the PCM updated to the newest one as well as have the speed control boot recall thing done. Also self explanatory and just happens to be on the "bucket list". For you guys living in GR, should I hit Borgmen or Fox for the update/recall?

5. Air Filter.

I'm either going to go with a "cold air style intake I make out of some stainless manderal bends with a K&N on it, or maybe I'll be lazy and just get a stock OEM style K&N filter for the air box. Haven't decided yet.

That said, is there anything I need to keep in mind about these things? Anything else I should look into doing? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search for telescoping steering column (If you don't have it already) there's a write up by HitchhikingMike, that's my plan for the weekend :thumbsup:

#4. If JoeDirt doesn't comment. I would pm him. He lives in GR.

I just changed my oil, air filter, and cleaned my MAF, and IAC. I need to do my plugs and wires soon.

I would call both dealerships- Fox has a lot more bays, but tends to take longer. Borgman has a big screen TV and free popcorn. :D

The SP500's are the correct plug. They're $3.19 on Rock Auto.
The WR6096 is the plug wire set. They're $38.79 on Rock Auto.

See if they will match prices. Tell them you have a code for free shipping so they don't use that as an explanation for difference in price.

I ended up going to Borgmen for the PCM update. Was about $85.00 dollars.

Not sure what to think of that dealer though. I tried to ask them a question about this noise I have.

Basically, around 2k~3.5k, I get this metallic ping like something is loose or a bearing is grinding but it only does it when I'm accelerating and if I ease into the gas, It doesn't do it.

I read about this timing chain issues, I tried to ask them and they blew me off about it. The guy working said he had NEVER seen one go bad, they don't have any known issues. I tried to tell him well plenty of people seem to have this issue, he same nope, never seen one, don't worry about it.

Umm... What the hell?

Do you know what guy you talked to? I have to go in there in a few days and will try to ask the same guy about it. I'll bust him if he doesn't fess up, or maybe he's new and has no idea what he's talking about.

It wasn't the mechanic, it was the guy working the front. His name might be on the paperwork, I'll check tomorrow for you.

It's 11:23, I'm not dressed and its cold out! :D

See if it's on there, because I know a lot of the guys there, and if one of the managers I know hears that one of his guys was playing stupid, that's not going to be cool- and it shouldn't be.

I was very specific about my concern and I told him I was concerned it might be a tensioner so I know there was no confusion.

He claimed he had never heard of any issues with them going bad.

Will let you know tomorrow.

KK... :thumbsup:

Back