• Register Today It's free!

Daytime running light question.

dobedat

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT 4x2
I just want to say helloto all the great folks in these forums. I am sure that the cynergy of our combined brain power will work to our benefit. I am looking forward to interacting with you.

I own a 2008 Explorer XLT and have an issue with the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights).

The documentation as to available options lists DRL's as a $45.00 option to be activated by the dealer. The dealer tells me that it is only available in "fleet Vehicles".

On the other hand a "web based mechanic" tells me the option is there and he quotes a Ford engineer as his source.

Can anyone shed any additional light on this.

dobedat
Montgomery, AL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drl

i believe the dealer can hook it to the computer and program them on and off. may have to pay them to do it.

drl

I will make another pass at the dealership today and see what happens. The worst they can say is no.

Thanks for your input.

so the explorer's come with daytime runnings now or is that an option

Most of the info I found online says that its an option on fleet vehicles, too.

I had an older Volvo that had a small screw located in the same area as the headlamp selector and by turning the screw 90 degrees it turned the day time running lights on and off.

You could also cheat: Find the "Auto" sensor, wrap it in back tape, and your car will always think its night time...although that would illumniate your console, too.

I have a 07 eddie bauer. It does have the drl. I bought used and am not sure if previous owner turned on or was a previous fleet vehicle.

I can use the DRL's when I have my running lights on. Maybe thats what they mean.

My '08 has daytime running lights, but it was a fleet vehicle before I bought it.

The headlights (but not the parking lights or the instrument panel lights) turn on when you put it in gear. It's not the same thing as the "Auto" headlights option, which I think senses when it's night and turns all the lights on. That option gets you an extra setting on the headlamp knob to activate the "Auto" feature.

Might want to try a different dealer, many of them are not very knowledgeable about reprogramming

Back