• Register Today It's free!

Adding daytime running lights?

interceptor06

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Limited
Has anybody added daytime running lights to an '06+ Explorer?

I've been searching and found a DRL module for around $70. Do I just purchase this and plug it in?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trade?

Has anybody added daytime running lights to an '06+ Explorer?

I've been searching and found a DRL module for around $70. Do I just purchase this and plug it in?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Heck, I might be willing to trade modules. My 06 began its life in Canada so has the daytime running lights as standard. I like them as a safety item but there are occasions when would like them off. They turn off if you put the truck in park. From my understanding it is just a matter of switching out the module behind the light switch...but I have no idea how hard that is to access. At some point, I was just going to try to track down a wrecked US model and get the switch off of it. Anyways, something for us to consider.

cheers

I've been doing some checking with dealers. One thought I could add daytimes by adding the DRL module. The other dealer told me I could not add DRL's without purchasing a kit with a new switch, etc, which they said was not available for an '06.

I would be willing to trade, but don't know what to trade or if it will work.

Hopefully somebody has done this and can chime in with the exact way of adding DRLs.

I have an 07' and would be interested in doing this as well if anyone knows how to do it. Where did you find the DRL module?

Thanks,
Troy

After some more research, I found a post by a guy who has an 07' Explorer. It is simply a matter of getting the dealer to enable it on your Explorer. His dealer found the menu item when they a computer up to the vehicle. His dealer charged $50.

Troy

I'll have to check with a couple service departments to see if the re-program works on the '06 too.

After some more research, I found a post by a guy who has an 07' Explorer. It is simply a matter of getting the dealer to enable it on your Explorer. His dealer found the menu item when they a computer up to the vehicle. His dealer charged $50.

Troy

very interesting, if they can turn them on then hopefully they can turn mine off! :)

Troy
I had my '06 in the dealer today for warranty work and they were able to enable the the daytime running lights by reprogramming the lighting control circuit. (process quoted above) I was charged $42.15.

Well-weeks later and my dealer is still checking on being able to "enable" the DRL's on the Explorer. They service manager guy who is supposed to know would never call me back and now the normal service guy is checking on it. I told him what you guys did on here, but they don't believe me I guess.

No Problems

Dealer mechanic was able to enable my DRL's, through the Service menus. Cost the same here in Medford OR, $43. I just purchased my '06 last Saturday, trading in my '02. The new splorer didn't have the auto headlights, just the XLT fog light option. So there is no switch replacement, or module kit. The way it was explained to me: If you have noticed, when you turn on your headlights, you will note that it takes them about 1/2 a second or so to turn on. Not like the older ones, where the switch was directly wired. If you have that hesitation, meaning that you already have the headlight controller circuitry, then you can have DRL's enabled through the SBJ menus. If for some reason you have a direct wire setup, (immediate headlights on, no hesitation) then it would require the DRL module. I didn't ask how many '06 and newer would have had the older direct wiring, if they even knew. But the parts desks at both dealerships show no module or kit, or any other type of switching options. So, it is most likely safe to assume that in the model year '06 and above, the DRL's are already installed. They just need enabled in the menus. :p:

I shoulda held out for a more loaded version of my '05 XLS. My options are AM/FM/CD, P/L, P/W, A/C, A/T, Keyless, and Cruise. I already found out how to add the keypad ($115 at the dealer), and the integrated key from the Fusion, so I figure anything is possible. I dunno about the headlight hesitation.. *runs to garage*.. No hesitation. Okay, so has anyone else had to do the DRL kit on an Ex like mine? I wanted to add AutoLamp anyway, probably by eBaying one of the older AutoLamp mirrors, or... something. But I want DRLs also. Apparently some people around here are so blind, they can't tell if anything bigger than an Escape is actually moving.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Follow up..

I shoulda held out for a more loaded version of my '05 XLS. My options are AM/FM/CD, P/L, P/W, A/C, A/T, Keyless, and Cruise. I already found out how to add the keypad ($115 at the dealer), and the integrated key from the Fusion, so I figure anything is possible. I dunno about the headlight hesitation.. *runs to garage*.. No hesitation. Okay, so has anyone else had to do the DRL kit on an Ex like mine? I wanted to add AutoLamp anyway, probably by eBaying one of the older AutoLamp mirrors, or... something. But I want DRLs also. Apparently some people around here are so blind, they can't tell if anything bigger than an Escape is actually moving.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Supposedly if you have less than an XLT, you'll need to have the module installed if it's not already there. It's about $70 depending on where you look, plus whatever the dealer or mechanic (assuming you don't wanna do it yourself) is gonna charge for labour.

I asked about the 2006 XLT I am purchasing and was told that on this vehicle it didn't have the option within the computer. I was told that the vehicle's computer would have to be replaced with one that offered that option. Approximate cost for a computer was $500+. It was not a matter of turning on some software as some of these posts say. Maybe those Explorers had such computer to be turned on.

It would be great to confirm this in some way.

Just leave your headlights on auto and cover up the light sensor on your dashboard.

Dealer mechanic was able to enable my DRL's, through the Service menus. Cost the same here in Medford OR, $43.

I had my '06 in the dealer today for warranty work and they were able to enable the the daytime running lights by reprogramming the lighting control circuit. (process quoted above) I was charged $42.15.

Its amazing that the 3 of you confirmed this can be done... But Ive phoned 3 dealers (Orlando - where I am, Texas where the 06 Explorer Limited is, and Newfoundland Canada were its going) and all 3 tell me I need to add the module, there is no option to enable them via the computer menu.

Just leave your headlights on auto and cover up the light sensor on your dashboard.
That turns on the park lights and dash lights on too...And when importing to Canada we need DRL unfortunately.

So if anyone who reads this has had it done, or maybe there is a Ford mechanic on the board here, can you give me any "buzzz" words to tell the dealer to help them figure this out? any docs out there with computer instructions? Id much rather this than having to add a module that's likely already there.

Its amazing that the 3 of you confirmed this can be done... But Ive phoned 3 dealers (Orlando - where I am, Texas where the 06 Explorer Limited is, and Newfoundland Canada were its going) and all 3 tell me I need to add the module, there is no option to enable them via the computer menu.

That turns on the park lights and dash lights on too...And when importing to Canada we need DRL unfortunately.

So if anyone who reads this has had it done, or maybe there is a Ford mechanic on the board here, can you give me any "buzzz" words to tell the dealer to help them figure this out? any docs out there with computer instructions? Id much rather this than having to add a module that's likely already there.

Not sure the "buzz word", but for our 2008 Mountaineer it was a simple program change to enable DRL that runs headlights, alone, at 80% whenever vehicle is in Drive. Running lights in autolamp or manually switched turns them on full as well as the side and tail lamps as before when called for. There is a menu option called DRL enable or something like that which is easily switched on, no need for a separate module.

=Vic=

Not sure the "buzz word", but for our 2008 Mountaineer it was a simple program change to enable DRL that runs headlights, alone, at 80% whenever vehicle is in Drive. Running lights in autolamp or manually switched turns them on full as well as the side and tail lamps as before when called for. There is a menu option called DRL enable or something like that which is easily switched on, no need for a separate module.

=Vic=

Thanks Vic!

so drl isnt when the lights turn when its turning darking, clouding, or raining...that what mines has

so drl isnt when the lights turn when its turning darking, clouding, or raining...that what mines has

No Daytime Running lights are just that, only for daytime.
They operative the headlights only (no park lights or dash lights) at a lower voltage.
For the 06+, they come on when the key is on, vehicle is not in park and the headlights are not already on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its done, went to the dealer today, an hour and $49 later I had DRL

There was no parts to buy. no service part nubmer on the bill, just "activate daytime running lights"

So if you're dealer says it cant be done, you can push them that it can.

Back