Dead, dead, DEAD! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dead, dead, DEAD!

strike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
My MFT died about 7 days ago. Fuse pull & battery pull have yielded NO results. I have made an appointment with my dealer for the earliest available time of next Tuesday and hope to get the new MFT software and of course the problem solved once & for all as it has been a painful 4 months since I bought the Explorer. I've been blaming the software but it appears it is the hardware that has been causing most of my grief, going black screen for 4 days at a time... now this. I bought the 2012 YM in November and am really thinking now that I must get the extended warranty for her. Any recommendations on where to buy? I'm a Canadian but the vehicle was imported from the States.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My MFT died about 7 days ago. Fuse pull & battery pull have yielded NO results. I have made an appointment with my dealer for the earliest available time of next Tuesday and hope to get the new MFT software and of course the problem solved once & for all as it has been a painful 4 months since I bought the Explorer. I've been blaming the software but it appears it is the hardware that has been causing most of my grief, going black screen for 4 days at a time... now this. I bought the 2012 YM in November and am really thinking now that I must get the extended warranty for her. Any recommendations on where to buy? I'm a Canadian but the vehicle was imported from the States.

Go across the boarder and but it at any Ford Dealer. You shoud be able to get premium coverage for 2k + or - a couple of hundred. The only requirement is that the odometer reading must be taken in miles not km. Shouldn't be a problem. This will save you thousands. If your in the Atlantic provinces I can give you the contact for a dealer in Maine.

You can't register a US Ford vehicle in Canada within the first 6 months or Ford charges back the US dealer the difference between the Can and US MSRP. Says right on the window sticker.

They can also penalize the dealership.

How did you pull that off?

I bought my Yukon Denali in the US and GM Canada wouldn't honour the warranty until 6 months had passed AND 12,000 kms.

Best solution is buy it and register it in the US then take it back to Canada.

You can't register a US Ford vehicle in Canada within the first 6 months or Ford charges back the US dealer the difference between the Can and US MSRP. Says right on the window sticker.

They can also penalize the dealership.

How did you pull that off?

I bought my Yukon Denali in the US and GM Canada wouldn't honour the warranty until 6 months had passed AND 12,000 kms.

Best solution is buy it and register it in the US then take it back to Canada.
But wouldn't you then have register it here and put proper plates
on it? I don't think you can wait 6 months to do that.

Peter

I believe it depends how far south you go to buy the vehicle. Most penalties are just handed out to the north and eastern states. I could import an explorer from Georgia and the southern states. Northern dealers wouldn't sell to me though. Thems the facts Jack.

Ford
Ford Motor Company of Canada
1-800-565-3673
The Canadian Rd, Oakville, ON
L6J 5E4 U.S. warranty of 3 years/36,000 miles bumper-to-bumper and five years/60,000 miles on powertrain will apply.

Ford warranty is fully coverd on a vehicle imported to Canada. GM has a delayed coverage policy as you mentioned.

http://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp#Ford

But wouldn't you then have register it here and put proper plates
on it? I don't think you can wait 6 months to do that.

Peter

You can drive on out of country plates if you can show residency in another country. It risky from the point of view that your US insurance agency may not cover you for 6 months out of country. Especially if they investigate to find out you are employed in Canada.

Back