Engine Coolant Light On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jnngtrrz

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT
I have a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT with about 25,000 miles on it. This morning I went to use the remote start on the app to warm up the car. When I went to the garage to get in, my garage was filled with smoke and a rotten egg/sulfur smell. (yes the garage door was open and it was about 12 degrees outside) I immediately turn the car off and called the Ford dealership. They said sometimes the cat needs to clean itself out and can cause that smoke, normally you don’t notice it but the cold air outside may have created a barrier where the smoke circulated in the warm air of the garage instead of going outside.

I waited an hour or so then took it for a drive. No smoke or smell. After hitting about 60 mph I noticed the white engine coolant light was on next to the gage on the dash. I never noticed it before, so I’m not sure if it’s always there? (Pic attached)

I then checked the coolant/antifreeze level and it was below the min line. So I added more to the max line and took it for a drive. After about 15 minutes of going 25-30 mph around the neighborhood, the engine temp gage was at 4 bars. When I pulled into the garage I did notice icicles under the car where the tank is. I’m not sure if that’s indication of a leak?

At this point I’m at a loss of what’s going on and whether or not it needs to be taken to the shop. Before this I never noticed any issues with leaks or starting the engine.

07B63B2C-B6C2-4F4B-9C11-A3105137BF59.jpeg 79CA987B-E863-4338-B664-F463CF0B4A91.jpeg 73ABE958-7320-428A-9FE6-F4DEFD4FC8E2.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT with about 25,000 miles on it. This morning I went to use the remote start on the app to warm up the car. When I went to the garage to get in, my garage was filled with smoke and a rotten egg/sulfur smell. (yes the garage door was open and it was about 12 degrees outside) I immediately turn the car off and called the Ford dealership. They said sometimes the cat needs to clean itself out and can cause that smoke, normally you don’t notice it but the cold air outside may have created a barrier where the smoke circulated in the warm air of the garage instead of going outside.

I waited an hour or so then took it for a drive. No smoke or smell. After hitting about 60 mph I noticed the white engine coolant light was on next to the gage on the dash. I never noticed it before, so I’m not sure if it’s always there? (Pic attached)

I then checked the coolant/antifreeze level and it was below the min line. So I added more to the max line and took it for a drive. After about 15 minutes of going 25-30 mph around the neighborhood, the engine temp gage was at 4 bars. When I pulled into the garage I did notice icicles under the car where the tank is. I’m not sure if that’s indication of a leak?

At this point I’m at a loss of what’s going on and whether or not it needs to be taken to the shop. Before this I never noticed any issues with leaks or starting the engine.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
That symbol is the Coolant Temperature Indicator and as far as I know, it is just there as a symbol to show what the graph is for. I think that you just never noticed it before. From what I see in the pictures is that everything appears normal. I think that you'll find that the icicles are probably just water. I wouldn't think leaking coolant would freeze.
1671552472224.png

Peter

4 bars is normal temp and that gauge is a standard gauge. Nothing about overheating or coolant issues.

You could hook up a scan tool capable of live data (since no check engine light is on) to look at temps, but for now I'd keep an eye on the coolant level, make sure you're not losing any. It is a "little" odd that it was below the minimum line. I wouldn't take it to a shop just yet.

The coolant wouldn't freeze at 12 degrees, unless someone changed it and used too weak a mix, OR if you bought it used and the prior owner had a coolant leak and was tired of paying for antifreeze to top it off so just started using straight water (to cause clear icicles instead of yellow like the coolant color... pretty sure Motorcraft VC-13G yellow was used by the '20 model year, but orange if not switched over to it by then). You can get antifreeze testers that show how low (temperature) you're protected, but check in the radiator not the reservoir.

If you have an attached garage, make sure the entry door into your home seals completely as any little gaps can suck exhaust fumes in.

Back