Dealer installed Class 1 Hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer installed Class 1 Hitch

Tier1Terrier

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
I need to get a hitch put on my car. The main use for it would be to put a cargo basket or bikes on the back, however, I would like for it to have the ability to toe something like a small boat or maybe a U-Haul or something like that.

My dealer is offering to put on a class 1 hitch. He says that my explorer cannot tell anything beyond what a class one hitch can hold. My other concern with a class one hitch is that it only has a 200 pound tongue capacity. That might be a little low with a heavily weighted cargo basket.

According to this page, my explore canto either 2000 pounds or 5000 pounds. I can't figure out which one it is though. I have a 2017 XLT six-cylinder NON-eco-boost.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_Explorer_Sep7.pdf

Can anyone help me figure out which is the real towing capacity of my explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way I read it is that anything over 200lbs tongue weight would need a weight distributing hitch, and your explorer with that engine is rated to pull up to 5000 lbs with a class three hitch with weight distributing equipment on the trailer hitch. With a class 1 hitch you are limited to 200lbs tongue weight and 2000lb trailer.
So a hitch mounted carrier will be limited to 200 lbs total weight.

What's your gear ratio? I would get the largest hitch capacity I could get, even if it were above my towing range. The cost difference probably isn't that much, and would allow for more basket or recovery capacity.

I got the curt class 3 hitch. Installation was a breeze. This past Father's Day they had an amazing deal, $60 shipped after rebate. Part no 13100. Like you, I got it for bikes and cargo carriers. I don't plan to tow. Installation was very easy and it has a clean hidden look. You will also find 2 inch receiver accessories are easier to find.

The way I read it is that anything over 200lbs tongue weight would need a weight distributing hitch, and your explorer with that engine is rated to pull up to 5000 lbs with a class three hitch with weight distributing equipment on the trailer hitch. With a class 1 hitch you are limited to 200lbs tongue weight and 2000lb trailer.
So a hitch mounted carrier will be limited to 200 lbs total weight.

No, he is not rated for 5,000lbs with that engine. He is rated for 2,000lbs with that engine because he does not have the factory tow package.

............ Can anyone help me figure out which is the real towing capacity of my explorer?
As blwnsmoke posted, it's 2000 lbs. As I understand it, even with an aftermarket class III hitch it would still be 2000 lbs.

Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (XLT) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be helpful info to have. Thanks.

Peter

Besides the wiring and the hitch what else comes with the Explorer towing package. I would hope a tranny/oil cooler and higher output alternator but can't find that info online.

I assume it comes with a certain rear axle ratio as other generations have.

I assume it comes with a certain rear axle ratio as other generations have.
Just checked my 2017 Platinum with tow against my previous 2014 MKT without tow and both show 3.16 axle ratio. They show different transmission codes and the MKT did not show an engine oil cooler like the Platinum does. For the non Ecoboost there is also a cutout in the front bumper valance with an air duct to allow for additional cooling.

Peter

It will not void your warranty

Besides the wiring and the hitch what else comes with the Explorer towing package. I would hope a tranny/oil cooler and higher output alternator but can't find that info online.

It's an entirely different transmission. The non-tow package is the 6F50, the tow package is the 6F55. The tow package also includes an engine cooler.

It will not void your warranty
The safest answer is simply "it depends". I have been involved in a few vehicle lawsuits over the years and any modifications to your vehicle can be used as an excuse to deny a portion of your warranty, or an entire warranty, and mods will be brought up in discovery/depo. It can get real expensive, real fast when fighting things in court - sometimes far more than the cost of the repair. All usual disclaimers apply in a case like this - IMHO, IME, YMMV, and so on...

The safest answer is simply "it depends". I have been involved in a few vehicle lawsuits over the years and any modifications to your vehicle can be used as an excuse to deny a portion of your warranty, or an entire warranty, and mods will be brought up in discovery/depo. It can get real expensive, real fast when fighting things in court - sometimes far more than the cost of the repair. All usual disclaimers apply in a case like this - IMHO, IME, YMMV, and so on...
To add to your post, this is just one item from the Warranty Guide, which few people tend to read;
Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company

My understanding of this is that adding a hitch will not in itself void the warranty but any damage or failure of an OEM part that is traced back to the installation will not be covered under warranty.

Peter

Make sure to read the reviews on That particular UHaul branch. They are Very hit and miss, and from what I've seen, more miss.

To add to your post, this is just one item from the Warranty Guide, which few people tend to read;
Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company

My understanding of this is that adding a hitch will not in itself void the warranty but any damage or failure of an OEM part that is traced back to the installation will not be covered under warranty.

Peter
If you add a hitch and never make a warranty claim, does that mean your warranty was still valid? Kind of like the age old question - if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If you add a hitch and never make a warranty claim, does that mean your warranty was still valid?
Kind of like the age old question - if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Yes to the warranty. You can modify and add all kinds of things and if you never make a warranty claim the warranty is still valid. If a claim was made due to an item failing because of the mod or addition then only that failed part isn't covered. It doesn't affect the warranty on other parts.
Yes to the tree falling. You don't have to hear something to know it will make a sound.:D

Peter

To be on safe side, do not tow anything heavier than manufacturer's set limit of 2,000 lbs because the explorer does NOT have a tow package. the transmission is not set to tow heavy up to 5,000 lbs. The radiator is not thick enough, nor the engine is ready without the oil cooler. It puts the Explorer in danger on road and for you and family or passengers as well. If you want to tow heavier than 2000 lbs, trade your Explorer for another one with tow package. When I shopped for an Explorer, I had the tow package in mind and bought it to pull my popup camper. I feel I made a safe choice of capable vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes to the warranty. You can modify and add all kinds of things and if you never make a warranty claim the warranty is still valid. If a claim was made due to an item failing because of the mod or addition then only that failed part isn't covered. It doesn't affect the warranty on other parts.
Yes to the tree falling. You don't have to hear something to know it will make a sound.:D

Peter
One always assumes their warranty is valid and will cover things, but never really knows for sure until they need to make a claim.

In God I trust - all others must bring data. ;-)

Back