Death wobble fix help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Death wobble fix help

No need to remove the bracket unless you're installing a lift.

There are 2 kinds of pivot bushings. The poly ones like Daystar and Energy Suspension slide onto the OEM collar but you have to chisel/grind/cut out the rubber and sleeve to get them in.

The OEM type replacements require you to remove the sleeve and collar. To do that, one side is flared to keep the bushing in place even though it's a press fit (that gives you and indication how much force they take when hitting bumps etc). That flare has to be bent back in or cut/ ground off.

That's the worst part of the replacement:thumbdwn:, the rest is cake compared to that:thumbsup:

No need to remove the bracket unless you're installing a lift.

There are 2 kinds of pivot bushings. The poly ones like Daystar and Energy Suspension slide onto the OEM collar but you have to chisel/grind/cut out the rubber and sleeve to get them in.

The OEM type replacements require you to remove the sleeve and collar. To do that, one side is flared to keep the bushing in place even though it's a press fit (that gives you and indication how much force they take when hitting bumps etc). That flare has to be bent back in or cut/ ground off.

That's the worst part of the replacement:thumbdwn:, the rest is cake compared to that:thumbsup:
Both options sound like fun...had a fun time grinding the rivets for the radius arm brackets.

Both options sound like fun...had a fun time grinding the rivets for the radius arm brackets.

I replaced my radius arm bushings without removing the brackets - now THAT was fun. Was replacing ball joints and all that anyways so I actually unbolted the radius arms from the axle, pulled it all forward out of the bracket, and put it back in with new bushings. A come-along cable puller was involved...

I feel that pain. To get my new radius arms in with all the new bushings after I did the lift, it required the use of two come-alongs and a second jack to get everything right.

Back