Dent repair pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dent repair pics

Well, my first real involved project on my mom's 94 xlt is done. Thanks for everyone who helped answer my questions.

The dent was about 2 inches deep at its worst. It ran half the lenth of the door and pushed in everything below and including the moulding. The paint above the moulding was flaked/chips so half the door needed repainting.

I used auto body bondo in small (1/5 can) incrments. i used a metal spatual to cover the sanded surface. after i got the area roughly equivalent to the origonal shape (i wasn't going for perfect, just unnoticable), i sanded using a variable rpm orbital sander and 120 grit aluminum oxide pad. after the shape was what i wanted, i used 320 grit on the orbital set at 4000 rpm and then finished off at 600 grit sandpaper by hand.

The dent with bondo and primer over it.
Dead Link Removed

The dent almost puntured the interior sheetmetal here.
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Masking on.
Dead Link Removed

Testing paint. BTW never use Rustolium as a base coat. it dosen't act well with the primer or the finishing layer. i had to sand down and repaint.
Dead Link Removed

The finnished product. the paint was from paintcratch.com and was a little darker then i'd like, but not bad overal. I applied 3 coats of gray filler/primer, 1 cote of red primer, 2 coats of matching paint and sanded with 2K grin till smooth. I sprayed on one more coat and then the clear coat finish. This was then finished with rubbing compound. It started to rain so i slaped on the moulding fast. it ended up being crooked so i'll have to fix that next week.
Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Total cost was 70 bucks for paint and bondo... not bad.

Good job:D Saved alot of money:cool:

Impressive work! Good job!

Good job!! Boy, I remember I had to do that back in high school. It's awesome. Gotta love the smell of bondo. Hehe. Anyways...I'm gonna be doing some body work myself, well, paint work. I'll be stripping the paint off the b-pillars and repaint it with black metallic paint. I hope it'll go well since I screwed it up the first time.

Back