Diff problems, wheels locking up

ErikB

Reaction score
City, State
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Hi,

Here's a problem from a Dutch Explorer fan...

Over the last couple of months I have been experiencing diff problems with my '94 Explorer 4WD (VIN# 1FMDU34X2RUB82560). When driving away from standstill everything is fine with the diff lock switched on, however once I turn the steering wheel (either left or right), the whole drivetrain locks up.

Turning the steering wheel back in the neutral position and then putting the car into reverse will kind of unlock the diff again, but it has now gotten to a point where I cannot use the diff lock anymore because even a slight turn off the steering wheel causes the whole driveline to lock up.

Any idea what the problem is and how to solve it ?

Thanks a lot in advance for your thoughts,
Erik (all the way from Amsterdam, The Netherlands)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Diff lock switched on? I'm wondering if your talking about the 4x4 mode selector? The reason I ask is that I have a 1st gen also and I don't have a "diff lock" to me that's a selectable locker which deffinitly doesn't come stock. It sound like your putting it in 4x4 on pavement...if you do this yes, your u-joint will bind up...it feels like the the drivetrain locks up, it's also extremely bad. On the 1st gen 4x4 should only be used in dirt, mud, snow, ice, gravel. The reason is (i just learned this myself) is that the front and rear drive shafts have to move at the same speed...if they don't the front end will bind up....something has to slip, hopefully it's a tire, but it could be an auto hub which wouldn't be good. Curious to hear more.

Oh and welcome to the site!
Good Luck
CP :D

do you have a locker?

Do you have a limited slip differential (read door tag D2 and D4 under axel at least on the 2nd generation)?

I know we just recently had this problem where there was the horrible noise on tight turns on dry pavement and now I think everyone is having the same problem. Eventually, I will admit there are other causes than the LSD.

I think he's useing 4x4 on the street, which is a :nono: .

Originally posted by AspenX
I think he's useing 4x4 on the street, which is a :nono: .

That's exactly what it sounds like. I a friends with a mechanic who says he gets people in all the time with a messed up drive train due to them using 4x4 on the street thinking they have an AWD car and that they will get better handling :rolleyes: . Erik - I'm not saying this is you but if you are using 4x4 it has to be on a surface that will alow the wheels to slip like CodePoet said.

Back