• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT - Steering locked

carrtoon

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
The steering wheel is totally locked and can't be budged. Key in ignition won't turn. Of course it can't be moved out of Park, not even into Neutral. I'm about ready to have it towed away but thought I might find somebody with an idea here. Any thoughts on how to "unstick" this problem? TIA for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All you have to do is pull the steering wheel to one side and then you'll be able to turn the key in the ignition.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'm not explaining the situation fully. Key's in the ignition w/no problem but can't be turned. Steering wheel (with all 200 lbs behind it) won't budge. It just came back from the dealer after having struts replaced on recall. Worked ok on the way home. This morning, nothing doing. Is there any means to release the steering wheel other than cranking on it to one side? That isn't working.

Sorry, edited my post above.

My mom used to have that happen with her Aerostar every so often. Try turning the wheel back and forth a bit, with the key turned as much as it will go (there's usually a little bit of play in the lock). Sometimes it takes a minute of this before everything lines up the way it needs to.

Good luck!

yeah slam it back and forth while trying to turn the key

reread the post, but what recall do the have that the struts are replaced i havent seen or performed that one

Been trying variations on the "crank it and twist" method. No luck so far. The mention of the recall repair of the rear window struts was anecdotal but I never know what they do with my car when in the dealer's care. Yesterday they called while waiting for the silicone sealer to dry to ask if I'd like to have those rear brakes done and was there a problem with the gas pedal being so stiff. I didn't know that those things were part of the work that was supposed to be done. I didn't authorize any inspection of anything else. I also didn't mean to get into a rant of any kind. Sorry. Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

ah they replace the rear window hinges and the studs on the window that mount the struts, about that inspection, most ford dealerships do a multipoint inspection when any car is brought in its free and they do it just to let you know. i mean they only have to let the glue cure for 7 hours when the temp is below 40 deg, what else are they gonna do??lol

as far as your concern. if you wheicle is still under warrenty take it in. if not take the steering coloum shroud(3 phillips screws underneath) and see if you see anything binding or broken if not try tapping gently in a few areas to break it free.

Update:

The tow truck arrived this morning and was able to disengage the tranny. Only way to get the car into Neutral. The dealer looked at it straight away and found that the tumblers in the ignition lock were fouled up somehow. Either something broke off in there or it just fell out of alignment. They're replacing the ignition lock assembly now ($230 worth) and should get it back to me this afternoon. Looks like it's all good. Thanks again for the interest.

Back