Difference Between 91 and 94 modle years? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference Between 91 and 94 modle years?

SuRrEaLNJ

hail to the king, baby!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
out of my mind...
Year, Model & Trim Level
MUNK 07 Focus 97 XL1200C
I know that the 91 had 155hp and in 93 it was bumped to 160. I also know in 93 the gear ratio was raised to 3.27 from 3.55. Also 91 only had rear wheel ABS. Also there were changes to the AC units etc...
Is there anything wlse that seperates a 91 from a 94?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4 Wheel ABS vs Rear ABS, A few minor interior design changes. I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones i can think of.

See this:

http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/

or try:

Autotrader.com

bring up any used Ford Explorer and "do the link thing" there is alot of infor. about what it costs back then....options.....standard features.....reviews......etc.

Aloha, Mark

actually the gear ratios were available in all years of the truck, year does not matter, just what they stuffed in it from the factory. 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10 are all gear ratios you can find in Explorers from 91-2001, with 3.73 being the most common.

SuRrEaLNJ said:
I know that the 91 had 155hp and in 93 it was bumped to 160. I also know in 93 the gear ratio was raised to 3.27 from 3.55. Also 91 only had rear wheel ABS. Also there were changes to the AC units etc...
Is there anything wlse that seperates a 91 from a 94?

gears: as was said 3.27 and 3.55 and 3.73 and 4.10 were in all years. 3.55 would be on 2WD trucks only as no such gear exists for the D35 I believe...

AC: 91-half of 93 had R-12. latter half of 93-94 had R-134a

91: often had single cupholder?
92?-94: often had double cupholder

ABS: 4-wheel 93-94. rear only 91-92 I believe.

EGR: 93-94 only.

Heater control valve: 93-94 only?? Not sure.

Auto transmission: 93-94 was upgraded. Search for "Torrington bearings" and "Thrust washers" for details...

Camshaft Position Sensor: 94 only, according to Brett. Who I would not ever doubt. :) I just learned that the other day.

Do a SEARCH for Crankcase's? old thread about 1st gens, it tells all of this and more things that I can not think of. Some real 1st gen nerds posted there, haha, they can tell you which bolts are different by year. :)

To add to Rhetts stuff, not all of the 93 models had EGR. Mine (luckily) does not, so one less thing to worry about! ;) Also, Limited models were not available until later in the first gen life cycle.

Rhett said:
gears: as was said 3.27 and 3.55 and 3.73 and 4.10 were in all years. 3.55 would be on 2WD trucks only as no such gear exists for the D35 I believe...
yes it does i have 3.55's and im 4wd

My Ex was built in late 91, and it had a single Cup holder.

Another slight interior difference is in 91 and 92 the dash 'fascia' was different. The area around the Rear Wiper and Defrost buttons (of so equipped) is a flat area, and a seperate panel the switches install into. On 93 and 94, This area is now part of that 'fascia'. in 91 and 92, the 'border' on that fascia is also pretty flat, where as in 93 & 94, the area protruded out a bit more. 93 & 94 also had a Standard SingleDIN opening for the stereo. 91 and 92 had slightly smaller opening.

The heater controls in 91 and 92 have no 'OFF' selection. 93 and 94 have an 'OFF' selection. And the Red/Blue bars to indicate heating/cooling adjustment changed a little...

I am assuming these changes were part of the Ranger changing the body style in `93, and no longer sharing these parts with the Explorer....

Ryan

SkanlaxJMO said:
yes it does i have 3.55's and im 4wd

Really?? Wow, ok I'll chalk that one up. Never seen a 3.55 Dana35 before. Thx for the info

Back