Differential and Transfer Case question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differential and Transfer Case question

Abbondanza

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 4.0 OHV 170k
[1996 XLT 4WD 4.0 OHV 170k] :

I'm assuming the previous owner(s) did not change either of the differential or transfer case oil, so although the truck has 170k, I'm going to change the fluids.

Would the rear diff be the place to start or does it really not matter what order?

Appreciate any advice/opinions. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would be a good idea (preventive maintenance) it certainly wont hurt anything. just be sure to use the correct fluids and additives where required.

yes, that's what I've decided. I revised my question then what order to tackle them in? (each will be on successive weekends).

Thanks!

yes, that's what I've decided. I revised my question then what order to tackle them in? (each will be on successive weekends).

Thanks!

I don't think it would matter..just git er done!:thumbsup:

roger that, thanks

Make sure the fill plug in the rear comes out before you take the cover off to drain the oil

Yes an empty diff with no way to fill it would def suck! Thx

Thanks!

Personally I tend to do the hard stuff first; it makes the rest seem much easier.
Unless there's some particular order I must follow.
I just dread the follow up less and don't put it off.

Back