Do I have to worry about amp bypass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I have to worry about amp bypass?

Daps

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I plan on putting in my system probably next week.
2000 explorer,with tape deck/cd player so I'm not sure it has an amp or not, im pretty sure there is no sub. I'll have to look....

I plan on putting in an amp,hu, and my 12"

I want to change the HU and buy a harness from walmart that i saw, one said premium and the other didnt but they both looked the same, I 'm guessing one has wires to by pass the factory amp but the other doesn't. I guess I could use either one??? Anyway I want to use the stk wiring for the doors speakers as I wont be chaning out the door speakers till the next pay check :) and for the amp for the 12" i plan on running RCA cables to the amp from the HU, so do I even have to worry about by passing the factory amp since i'll be using the RCA's and not speaker level inputs?

Hope I'm not confusing you guys to what I want to do...just installing new hu,amp,12"s

Thanks
Dwyane

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have premium, you will need the premium harness.... the harness for the amp bypass is a whole nother deal.... i would personally order both harnesses from www.crutchfield.com i got both the amp bypass harness and the hu harness for my 94 with premium stereo for $16 shipped to my door......

A 2000 should have the factory amp built into the HU.

So if the amp is in the HU would I still need an AMP bypass as the HU would no longer be in?

No.

I think 99 and up Ford went with a HU that has the amp built in like Alec said. So no by pass, you will only need the wiring plug. Call crutchfield and talk to the sales advisor, they can answer ANY questions you might have as they have your truck researched.

Here, i'll make it easy for ya...

1-888-955-6000

I know alot of the people in the store and a few of the phone techs. They are good people and they know their stuff. I know the research guys and have helped them research new vehicles (you should've seen the H2 and the 350Z we got to play with) and they document EVERYTHING so if you buy from Crutchfield you get a Mastersheet that shows (PICS) of how to do everything audio related to your truck.

Thanks...
I'm cheap I'll just pick one up at wal mart, That should work...

Back