• Register Today It's free!

Do I need a new ECU module

im3of9

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer xlt
engine light on constant...check gauge light on and temp. gauge doesn't work...than light goes off ...than back on and fuel gauge doesn't work but temp gauge does...slowing down for a stop and engine will stall with rpms falling as nearing 5 mph. Trans acts up once in a while ..just doesn't engage
any help greatly appreciated...also where is the ecu module located at?

2003 ford Explorer XLT
4.0 Automatic 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

codes say number 3 cylinder...replaced plugs, wires. Still same. mechanic said cant find anything...says wait till it gets worse...runs fine...its the stalling when slowing to stop that I don't like..

I had similar with the cutting out. It was the fuel pump stopping then it would stall, but immediately started. This may sound like magic, but when the screws holding the plastic cowl around the ignition key were slacked off, that problem went!? !!
If screws tightened it reappeared, some electrical connection was being pinched, I've looked at ignition key area 50 times and cannot see why this worked, but it did. Try it it'sa simple to do, if it works great, if not bad luck!

no luck...mine only stalls sometimes and when almost stopped (under 5mph)But thanks for idea.

Back