Do I need to reset check engine light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need to reset check engine light?

bmansc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Sport Trac
Was driving my 08 ST when check engine light came on and had low engine temperature. Stopped by AdvancedAuto and they said codes suggested thermostat stuck open. Just replaced it and engine temp is back up, ran for about 10 minutes, ran heat at full for a while, but Check Engine Light still on. Do I need to have it reset? If so, how? Go back to AdvancedAuto, or O'Reillys?

Thanks as always for any help.

I would, just pull the battery cable off for a minute. I've also heard, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that the PCM rescans itself every time you start your vehicle and if it does not detect the error after so many restarts, it will turn off the CEL.

Do you have the old thermostat, and was it stuck open? You can heat a pot of water on the stove with the t-stat in it to verify if it was stuck. I didn't spend much time researching but a quick google search suggests the V6 trucks do have an ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) Sensor located in the water pump area. Appears to be a $20 part. Not sure if the V8 has a similar sensor.

Back