Do they make an aftermarket transmission dipstick ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do they make an aftermarket transmission dipstick ?

^ That post #3 is based on the same assumption I had, that it was a V6 with 4WD rather than AWD.

I would make fixing the parking brake priority #1, before even touching the drive shaft. Because I don't like gambling with other peoples' losses. Maybe your wheel chocks are good enough. I can't see or test that. :)
Here are the markings (that I could find so far) on the transfer case:
I don't know if that narrows down to certainty the type of transfer case; hopefully it will.
(I could not find any tags on it like one would find on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.)
edit: well after googling the numbers on the below pics, those numbers appear to be useless...
5jeqfi.jpg

k8xrxr.jpg

zfmoxu.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pics don't give me anything and I was already generalizing, maybe someone with this specific problem will come along... I'm about at the end of my usefulness, not a drivetrain expert.

The pics don't give me anything and I was already generalizing, maybe someone with this specific problem will come along... I'm about at the end of my usefulness, not a drivetrain expert.
yes, there are no useful markings on the t-case :(

It’s got a viscous coupling since there’s no shift motor. Should be a 4411. It doesn’t drift because coupling is seized. If it wasn’t it’d start creeping as soon as the fluid cooled. It’s almost surely why the front shaft was removed. I’d bet the fluid inside the transfer case is cooked from the overheating coupling, if whoever yanked the shaft didn’t change it.

Also, there’s nothing inherently wrong with viscous couplings. They are in tons of cars. They run hundreds of thousands of miles. They typically last until someone does something stupid like run mismatched tires. I’d bet the previous owner did something stupid, and instead of fixing his problem he pulled the front shaft. Is it currently sitting on 4 matching size AND brand of tire?

In my other vehicles, I check my transmission fluid very regularly (weekly). I do not see how I am going to do that with this vehicle without a dipstick....
2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4.0liter, "awd", previous owner removed front drive shaft for unknown reasons.
Absolutely. Lokar, B&M are just a couple sources. Summit is another. I have a Lokar on my 68 Torino and a B&M on my F150 6R80 that never came with one.

In my other vehicles, I check my transmission fluid very regularly (weekly). I do not see how I am going to do that with this vehicle without a dipstick....
2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4.0liter, "awd", previous owner removed front drive shaft for unknown reasons.
I doubt it, our Transmission failed, Overdrive failed, at 94,000 in the mountains north of Bishop CA on the way to our daughter's wedding in San Diego. We limped it into Bishop CA to the only Ford Dealer on Hwy 395 and was charged over $4,800 before they would even order the new transmission plus labor on top of that, they couldn't repair the trans so needed a new one, $45 per day car rental of a Ford Focus to get us to the wedding. We were 4 months under on the extended warranty but 4, 000 miles over on mileage Ford or the dealer wouldn't give us a break.
I think the majority of manufactures are going to sealed Trans according to a Dealer I trust. Plus you have to have a special adapter to add fluid to the trans.

they stopped putting dipsticks in with 3gen the year they redesigned the chasse there's no hole to puut the stick
my understanding the fill on trans you stich finger in go to you tube search either check trans fluid or how to change trans fluid thats a real pita too dealers use pressure fill just don't ever flush auto trans or p/s especially older higher mileage low mileage don't need it high mileage it can knock too muck gunk off sometimes the gunk keeps it working. as for front shaft any chance it was jacked up to run big tires
that can mess up u joints etc

yes aftermarket does I think Transdapt is the one I have

1667162043209.png

Thank @imp

Back