Do they make an aftermarket transmission dipstick ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do they make an aftermarket transmission dipstick ?

2004mountaineers

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mercury Mountaineer
In my other vehicles, I check my transmission fluid very regularly (weekly). I do not see how I am going to do that with this vehicle without a dipstick....
2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4.0liter, "awd", previous owner removed front drive shaft for unknown reasons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my other vehicles, I check my transmission fluid very regularly (weekly). I do not see how I am going to do that with this vehicle without a dipstick....
2004 Mercury Mountaineer, v6, 4.0liter, "awd", previous owner removed front drive shaft for unknown reasons.
If the front drive shaft was removed you have problems. watch for the car creeping (moving) in park.
Don't know about the dipstick.

If the front drive shaft was removed you have problems. watch for the car creeping (moving) in park.
I have checked. It does not creep in park.
The v6's are not supposed to creep -- see post #3 here:

like what problems. my best guess is the viscous-coupler went bad. (btw, I will never again buy
a vehicle with a viscous coupler. some of the Grand Cherokee's had those nasty things too.....).
edit: after I get the wheel bearings taken care of (was out sick for about a week), I will look in the t-case and see the fluid condition in there;
if it's normal, I may see what happens if I put a drive-shaft back in. (I can get a front-drive-shaft for $50-$60 and install and see if
the vehicle runs, predicting it won't be able to turn properly with a binded-up viscous coupler.)

like what problems. my best guess is the viscous-coupler went bad. (btw, I will never again buy
a vehicle with a viscous coupler. some of the Grand Cherokee's had those nasty things too.....).
edit: after I get the wheel bearings taken care of (was out sick for about a week), I will look in the t-case and see the fluid condition in there;
if it's normal, I may see what happens if I put a drive-shaft back in. (I can get a front-drive-shaft for $50-$60 and install and see if
the vehicle runs, predicting it won't be able to turn properly with a binded-up viscous coupler.)
Well, you’re barking up the wrong tree. You don’t have a viscous coupling. You’re also not AWD, you’re automatic 4wd.

Well, you’re barking up the wrong tree. You don’t have a viscous coupling. You’re also not AWD, you’re automatic 4wd.
The vehicle says it is awd. What is your rationale for stating that it is not AWD (as much as I wish you were right)?
https://imgdump5.novarata.net/mj8cs0.jpg
mj8cs0.jpg

I had thought that the Mountaineer only came with AWD if it was the 4.6L V8 but looking around, I saw a pic with the same "AWD" liftgate emblem and listed as a 4.0L, and a V8 that had the emblem as "AWD V8", so IDK.

There is no hole in the tranny casing for a dipstick tube, and not practical to pull tranny apart and make one, so what some have done on various vehicles is a deeper transmission pan with a tube. There's DIY and there is maybe somewhere, aftermarket.

I have not done this so am not vouching for any particular parts or methods, just a few random links:

I have checked. It does not creep in park.
The v6's are not supposed to creep -- see post #3 here:
So it's a V6 and AWD? First one I've heard of. Not sure how the AWD would handle having no front driveshaft - unless you put one back in? Disclaimer - NO expertise here, just curiosity.

So it's a V6 and AWD? First one I've heard of. Not sure how the AWD would handle having no front driveshaft - unless you put one back in? Disclaimer - NO expertise here, just curiosity.
If this is a v8, let me know.
ddnfr4.jpg

e22t9u.jpg

It’s a V6. Maybe the mountaineers had an AWD, but I still don’t think it’s a viscous coupling. If so it’d almost surely drift in park.

It’s a V6. Maybe the mountaineers had an AWD, but I still don’t think it’s a viscous coupling. If so it’d almost surely drift in park.
Good point

At 4:12, he starts talking about the viscous-coupler (which causes the binding).

I stand corrected. I didn’t realize the v6 Mountaineers had a different case than the Explorer’s of the time.

My driveway has a pretty good slope. It has been sitting on the driveway and has not drifted yet. I have a block placed about a foot behind the front tire just in case, but the tire has never come in contact with the block. been at least a few weeks....
Soon I will try to get a picture of the markings on the transfer case. Then maybe it will be known for certain. Maybe I can ask the parts-dept at a dealer if I need to....

Suppose for a moment that your viscous coupler IS seized. Then no drift in park? That is unless it unseizes unexpectedly, which could be an expensive thing to find out depending on what is in its path. I'd make sure the parking brake is in good working order and use it. Good like inspect and test it, leave the vehicle in neutral on the grade and see if it holds the vehicle. Don't know about an '04 but the earlier generation was a bit of a pain to do the parking brake pads, so it is possible they've never been done on yours (often not part of the shop package for a brake job to keep quoted cost down) and it could be due for it... or if you never use the parking brake, could be massive rotor rust so can't hold against the rotor even if otherwise in good working order.

Suppose for a moment that your viscous coupler IS seized. Then no drift in park? That is unless it unseizes unexpectedly, which could be an expensive thing to find out depending on what is in its path. I'd make sure the parking brake is in good working order and use it. Good like inspect and test it, leave the vehicle in neutral on the grade and see if it holds the vehicle. Don't know about an '04 but the earlier generation was a bit of a pain to do the parking brake pads, so it is possible they've never been done on yours (often not part of the shop package for a brake job to keep quoted cost down) and it could be due for it... or if you never use the parking brake, could be massive rotor rust so can't hold against the rotor even if otherwise in good working order.
I tested the parking brake in neutral on my driveway the first day I got the vehicle. The parking brake would not hold jack.
I am so far always parking with chocks on one wheel. I have been assuming it would not be a concern however based on post #3 in this thread:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ That post #3 is based on the same assumption I had, that it was a V6 with 4WD rather than AWD.

I would make fixing the parking brake priority #1, before even touching the drive shaft. Because I don't like gambling with other peoples' losses. Maybe your wheel chocks are good enough. I can't see or test that. :)

Back