does anyone know year changes in 5.0 motors | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

does anyone know year changes in 5.0 motors

denter

Reaction score
City, State
enfield, ct.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I have a 98 explorer 5.0 with no motor. will a 99 mountaineer 5.0 go in with no modifications. like an exact fit or what do I have to do to make it work. also is $850.00 a good price for a motor with 40,000 mi. thanks again Den

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on what you consider to be the motor. block, heads, cams, and intake are mostly the same. A few sensors (cam position sensor, egr) adn the fuel rails are different.

I am talking a complete motor. thanks

The fuel lines are different since the 5.0s went to a returnless fuel system in 1999. I believe you would have to swap computers, fuel lines, and possibly the fuel pump/tank.

thanks for the replys, maybe I should look for a 98 motor, but I can't seem to find one with less than 100k, unless I get a reman but were talk a lot of money there.

thanks for the replys

thanx for the reply, but maybe I should keep looking for a 98 motor. funny thing there's not too many out there and when I find one they all have hi milege over 100k. I could get a reman motor but big dollars.

Back