Does this look right? Urgent.

graciebrother

Reaction score
City, State
VAN, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Sport 1998
Hi all,

So I just replaced my alternator this morning. The serpentine belt was really tough to get off even with me cranking down on the pulling all the way. So to get it off I though it might help to slacked the pully itself a little which actually seemed to help and it came off after a little struggle. So I fixed the alternator back on and just managed to get the belt on but when I tightened the pully arm bolt again there seems to be a bit of play even though the bolt is tightened completely. This doesn't seem quite right to me. There is a bit of a gap between the casing and the unit. See image below.

http://yfrog.com/jwimg0199j

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Thanks

GB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need a new tensioner.

Which engine is this?

I ask because tensioner pulley might be in the wrong position.

Verify that you have the routing correct - there should be a sticker under the hood or on top of the radiator core support which outlines the serpentine route.

You sure the belt is routed properly? Double check the routing, its detailed on a sticker on the radiator header.

Wow, is there an echo in here? Or is it just me?

routing is correct. it's the pully i'm concerned about. Should there be any play in the lever?

Is it worth me taking the lever out and trying to put attach it again or would that somehow mess with the springs?

okay, so I took the alternator back off and then removed the spring pully completely. It looks like it was just the casing that was a little lose. So i squeezed it back together and threw it back on with the rest of the parts. All seems fine and had the engine running and there is no movement on the pully.

Back