Doh! I think its the ball joints... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doh! I think its the ball joints...

914x4sport

Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg,Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4 sport
Ok so after the whole "bubbas" fiasco saturday, upon driving my truck on sunday I noticed that whenever I was decelerating..(or atleast thats the only time I could hear it over the engine) I could feel a vibration and hear a humming sortof grinding sound..Like the feeling of dirty bearings and Almost the exact same sound as big mud tires slowing down, you know..WWWAAAAaaaaaaa.......I thought maybe it was the bearings being as I had the truck burried in mud the day before..So i went to a shop and without telling the mechanic about the sound had them repack the bearings with grease, the mechanic said that my ball joints needed to be replaced , and I said Id be in later, like I always tell mechanics when they say I need something replaced, he he. My question...I still have the sound and vibration, I shake at 65, he called the ball-joints without me telling him my symptoms..Everything tells me what I need to do. What price should I be looking at to get this done, and do all four have to be replaced? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did upper and lower on one side myself for about $90. It took about 3 hours to do. You need to rent a ball joint press to do the job, and it always helps to have air tools. LOL

Jack it up on the frame, behind the radious arm..grap the bottom of the tire and see if you can move it in and out, not side to side, but in and out without changing the direction the tire is facing..If so, time for ball joints..the run about $45 apiece if you purchase them and do the work yourself..But, I really don't think this is where your whining is coming from..If the ball joint is bad, you will get excessive paly in the steering and sometimes a noise such as a pop when you turn..what tire pressure are you running now? take it up some and see if the whining stops..

Im actually already running a pretty descent tire pressure and it just started doing this after bubbas, thats why I had the bearings repacked I thought maybe I got a bunch of mud in em...Ive tried engaging and disengaging 4wd in both high and low, and thats not it. I know the ball joints are bad because I do get a little play and also can feel it shake at highway speeds, like the stearing wheel shakes, and you can push the wheel back and forth when lifted.I do get a pop sometimes but I think thats mainly from the radius arm bushings(which I also need to find to replace). What I want to know is has anyone experienced a "hum" from bad ball joints?? Also Im assuming if my front brakes were stuck the mechanic wouldve noticed it when packing my front bearings the other day, I trust him to tell me. Its mainly a brake shop and he wouldnt of passed up an oportunity to sell some brakes :) Anyway its really bugging me and I have to change the joints anyway, I just wish I could know ahead of time if that was going to fix it completely...

I figured it out!!!

Ok, after stumping 6 mechanics with my humming problem..they were looking at the axle, rotors,bearings, hubs....I stood back in deep thought in front of my explorer when it came to me plain as day...I noticed that the front right tire was way off alignment...DUH!!!! I was at Bubbas bouncing the thing to kingdom come and I didnt think that I might've knocked it out of alignment?! The two front tires are working against each other..The first thing I said was that it sounded like a big mud tire slowing down, Thats because when Im driving straight the tire is actually rubbing the road the wrong way...I dont know what I was thinking about the ball-joints, once I realized where exactly they were I felt like an idiot...Anyway it feels kinda cool showing up a bunch of mechanics though:) Well I gotta run to another shop to get the alignment done, Hopefully i can get it done right without having to get an adjustable camber bushing...Mike where did you get yours..Is there anyway to get one locally like a speed shop or something, and not have to wait to have it shipped in?Also what do they run in $$$? Thanks...Sorry for all the rambling..he he Im all worked up over my truck...

Hey buddy, got mine from Skyjacker...Had a shop in Wildwood put them in and do the ailignment..The guy always does me right, so it's worth it to me to drive the extra 30 miles..Check with www.4wheelparts.com they should be able to express them out to you, think they have a place in Orlando...

hey, unless you have been monkeying with the suspension, the stock ones will work...

Nah I havent done anything to the suspension...yet...he he...

AAAHHH...Its ok its fixed

Ok , so I know of one mechanic that will never have my business ever again...I took my truck in to check and fix the alignment and the say" Hey check this out" ..I go over to my truck and they tell me to grab the wheel...I do..It shakes back and forth..Bearings shot...After the first mechanic at the other place tells me their fine after repacking them, and test drives it and says"that doesnt sound anything like bad bearings , sounds like your tires"...God I hate it...Anyway I go back to the first place and tell him that the bearings shot and he says he doesnt think it is but hell replace them anyway(I didnt get charged labor so obviously he knew I was right this time) He replaces them and then says theres still play in the wheel ( like a millimeter,not near what it was) and says that its not fixed and that the axle that goes through the hub is worn or something and thats why theres play...so I drove it down the road..Everything is fine, rides great...Told him and he goes "uhhhh..." Idiot....Well no more whine and Im one step closer to Mutual Mine....WOO HOO!!!

I was reading this post. I am wondering if you had your ball joints prelaced before you had alignment done, as bad ball joints will affect the alignment. I get that all the time were I work. I go to do a alignment. And I always check the front end out first. And find a tie rod or a ball joint bad. Just a thought.

Eric

How much does it cost to replace the ball joints if you go to a shop? (parts and labor)

I am not sure. Parts might run you 75 bucks for both sides upper and lower. And labor probably 6 hours maybe. I dunno. I would do them my self. But if you have no idea how to do it, then you might want to take it some were.

Eric

I have stcok. What is the spec dana 28 Axle? Is there any special tools neede to change them? Is it a pretty easy job?

The front axle is a Dana 35. You will need alot of rust penitrant aka WD40. And a ball joint press. And plenty of air tools help big time. Also you need is a hub puller. Lots of time a patience.

Eric

I'm not sure about prices in your area but when I did my ball joints in September it cost me about $250 including the rental of a balljoint press. The best quote that I got from a shop was over $1100 so if you are capable it is definately worth doing it yourself. Most parts stores will try to sell you cheap balljoints but it is worth paying a little bit extra to get good quality parts. I used Moog which appeared much more well made than the TRW ones that they tried to sell me.

While you are in there take a little time to lube your spindle bearings and also check you u-joints and spindles for wear. It may cost a little more but you will only have to do the labour once. Especially if you pay someone to do it.

Back