Done one of the hardest in Moab, now Colorado! :) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Done one of the hardest in Moab, now Colorado! :)

mattadams

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Longmont, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I am thinking of heading up to Mt. Holy Cross. Anyone interested? Those of you in Colorado that are into four-wheeling are probably well aware of Holy Cross, its one of those that the hard core jeepers in the area always list ars one of there most fun trails, its listed as the second hardest in the Colorado backroads trail guide. Anyone interested in going with me? Ryan? Hix? Any of the guys taht complain we always do the trails that are too easy? :).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Done one of the hardest in Moab, Huh?

The Moab Brewery doesn't count, LOL.

I want to hit both Holy Cross and Iron Chest around the CCR2001: if I can find any guys not spending time lounging around taking it easy nursing pierced body parts, LOL.

Wimps need not apply.

:D Texans wheel harder :smoke:

Originally posted by mattadams
I am thinking of heading up to Mt. Holy Cross. Anyone interested? Those of you in Colorado that are into four-wheeling are probably well aware of Holy Cross, its one of those that the hard core jeepers in the area always list ars one of there most fun trails, its listed as the second hardest in the Colorado backroads trail guide. Anyone interested in going with me? Ryan? Hix? Any of the guys taht complain we always do the trails that are too easy? :).

Well we didn't do the hardest trails in Moab, but we did give our Explorer a good workout.
I don't complain about going on the easier trails either, but I might be interested in doing Holy Cross with you or at least go check it out.
I have heard to make it to the top you will need lockers front and rear.

Perry, I've heard that too, but I've heard it about many other trails thast I've been able to walk up without lockers. THis is one where I've heard about bad body damage, but thats allright, I'm just anxious to give it a shot :).

Gerald, I've wanted to do Iron Chest since CCR1999 when I was bone stock, haven't found anyone daring enough to go with me. ANd really it's not a super-tough trail, just a lot of rockcrawling and not freaking out when you hear rocks banging the underside of the explorer (or the sides, depending ont he lines you take)

I would like to go, but I only got 31's right now, and I am still saving up for a powertrax no-slip, so I don't think my car would be capable, but if you aren't running it for a couple weeks, I might be able to make it after I get the no-slip, but I still don't know if I would be capable. Always worth a shot I guess ;)

If I make it to CCR2001 and 31's are tall enough I'll run either with you. I should have a rebuilt (extra clutches) trac-loc in the rear and a lock-right or truetrac in the front by then. If 31's are too short will 32's work? :bounce: As far a body damage goes "chick's dig body damage" :D

I want to go to Holy Cross, but :)rolleyes: regardless of what you may have heard :rolleyes: ) I do know the limits of BamBam. I wouldn't mind riding shot-gun and taking pictures though. I may even know some non-ford folks from here in C.S. who'd want to try it.

Well Matt, you almost got me interested. . .and then you mentioned two horible words: body damage. :eek:

Originally posted by Jefe
Well Matt, you almost got me interested. . .and then you mentioned two horible words: body damage. :eek:

Ah heck just whack the side of your truck once and don't get it fixed and you will be just fine with getting it again. :D

Originally posted by rpenner54
Ah heck just whack the side of your truck once and don't get it fixed and you will be just fine with getting it again. :D
You make it sound so easy. . .LOL. . .just let me get it payed off first. :rolleyes:

jefe, its ok, I can relate. You should've seen me when I took my 2000 F-150 off-road a few weeks back. I was nervous at everything, body damage is ok on a vehicle thats only use is off-roading, but not so good on the vehicle that is the daily driver as well!
Well, on this trail, I've heard one guy say he did it with 31"s and a rear locker only. We'll find out soon enough! :)

Matt's right on here, if you don't pick a good line your truck will look like it was in a rock slide. If you have running boards I wouldn't even think about going because you won't come back with em'. I'm always up for holy cross if I have the weekend free. I grew up in Leadville and I've never made it to the top of holy cross in a stock vehicle, usually because some inexperianced wheeler from Denver was stuck and ready to roll on the trail and we had to stop and that made us get stuck, no offense to any Denver wheelers ;). But it is one of the funner trails I've ever done.

I talked to a guy today that has done Holy Cross 21 times and has only made it 6 times to the top without help.
He is locked in the rear, but not in the front. He has used his wench a lot he said.

He also said he would't try it at least until the middle of July. I know some or going from the colorado page on the 30th, but I have decided not to do it then.

All the pictures I have found on the web look like it is defiantly a day trip in itself. They are going up on Friday so they can start out early on Saturday.

Back