Dont have front tow hooks? Thats OK!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dont have front tow hooks? Thats OK!!

yes that is a tie down "T hook" use for auto transporters, no good for heavy recovery work or ya end up with the ripped slots like in the photo someone posted, they are VERY handy when used on a V chain (2 of those hooks on 3-4 foot leaders and a center ring) for pulling imports and what not out of snow banks, off ice or any car that isnt stuck very badly (ie- two wheel drive on wet grass), I suggest that these are NEVER NEVER NEVER used for anything thats will be a high load application (pulling stuck 4x4's or cars from ditches) as I have seen them break, rip the tiedown points off the cars, bend the metal recovery tabs on imports, ect
for off road recovery always use a strap hooked to tow hook or frame cross member and I suggest always placeing a blanket or mat in the middle of the strap for safety, and never shock load the pulling system when pulling anything!
BTW- I know this stuff because I use to drive a tow truck and do heavy recovery work (roll overs, cars in deep ditches ect)

Thanks for that link to them....those will be awesome when I load my BII on my trailer....I've been just putting a ratchet strap around my front axle, but thats hard on the straps and I get a lot of bounce....I'm gonna definately order a set of them or maybe I'll take a look down at the new harbor freight store in Baltimore and see if they have them...

Back