Door jamb sticker wrong | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Door jamb sticker wrong

moexplorer97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you the original owner of it? Or have a carfax to see if maybe someone had put a jy door on it at one point and time? Or could be the slightest possibility that someone for some reason wanted 3.73's for better fuel mileage and just swapped different axles in and never told you when you acquired the truck.

I'm a newb so please excuse my 1st grade question, but if the door tag says its a 4.10, and the sticker on the axle says it is a 4.10, how can the tag on the axle also say it is a 3.73?

I'm confused how a tag can say two different things, or are there 2 tags on the axle?

Of course the final question is how does one find out without taking it apart and counting the gears.

again sorry for the simple questions, I'm merely curious

I'm a newb so please excuse my 1st grade question, but if the door tag says its a 4.10, and the sticker on the axle says it is a 4.10, how can the tag on the axle also say it is a 3.73?

I'm confused how a tag can say two different things, or are there 2 tags on the axle?

Of course the final question is how does one find out without taking it apart and counting the gears.

again sorry for the simple questions, I'm merely curious

What Glen is saying is either someone swaped out the rear end which has a 3.73 ratio or the door was replaced with a door from an Explorer that had 4.10gears.

Is your Sport 2wd or 4wd?

Waiting on a build sheet direct from FoMoCo. We'll know then what is what. Nobody changed the rearend in this truck. Nobody had ever changed the spark plugs or plug wires til I got it.

I hope for your sake that either both axles are 4.10s or 3.73s.. If they are mismatched and you use 4wd, your gonna have all sorts of problems to work on.

After looking at the tag on the axle, I have found out I have a 3.73 ratio. .........

P.S. Even the sticker on the axle apparently relates to a 4.10 axle.

Your post is confusing to say the least.

I highly doubt the door jam information sticker is incorrect, if it's the original door and rear in the truck.

Put the truck in neutral, jack the rear up, mark the drive shaft then spin the rear wheel one revolution and count the number of turns the drive shaft makes.

Post your results here.

Back