Doors keep unlocking, dome lights flash and door chime goes on and off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Doors keep unlocking, dome lights flash and door chime goes on and off.

finetrm

Reaction score
City, State
SAINT PETERSBURG
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 2wdr v8
1996 explorer XLT 2wdr v8. Door locks keep unlocking with dome lights blinking on and off and door chime going. Unplug all three door lock switches and door key pad no change. Unplug both connectors on alarm module left rear quarter panel and alarm starts Hit key fob or key pad drivers door alarm stop others keep going.
Unplug either top side or bottom connector on GEM Multifunction Module (F67B-14B205-BA) left of radio and the door locks, dome lights and chime stop. Does that tell me that Module is bad ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A low charged battery has been known to cause this
It could be the gem but I'd rule out everything

A low charged battery has been known to cause this
It could be the gem but I'd rule out everything
That would be to easy. Battery fine.

Before you get replacement GEM check wire harness bundle at drivers door jamb for damage... a slightly damaged connection there can create bizarre anomalies with circuits..

Before you get replacement GEM check wire harness bundle at drivers door jamb for damage... a slightly damaged connection there can create bizarre anomalies with circuits..
Will do Thanks.

1996 explorer XLT 2wdr v8. Door locks keep unlocking with dome lights blinking on and off and door chime going. Unplug all three door lock switches and door key pad no change. Unplug both connectors on alarm module left rear quarter panel and alarm starts Hit key fob or key pad drivers door alarm stop others keep going.
Unplug either top side or bottom connector on GEM Multifunction Module (F67B-14B205-BA) left of radio and the door locks, dome lights and chime stop. Does that tell me that Module is bad ?
Not sure but could be your power saving relay doing it’s job or so it thinks. My gem however recently failed and it started with the door light overhead combo and slowly found its way into causing other systems to go. The puddle lights. The visor lights. Then the wipers decided to play on and off. Limped this along for about three months til it was happening almost every time I started my vehicle. Another idea would be to check your cables and grounds for bad connections. If you ever took dash apart and didn’t replace screws the gem flops around bad and will cause wiring issues to the plugs them selves. Good luck buddy.

Back