DOT 3700 new Goodyear Wrangler RT/S safe to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DOT 3700 new Goodyear Wrangler RT/S safe to use?

I bartender at a local bar was looking for a 235-75-15 tire to replace her bald wire-showing tire on her Durango. Since my spare is that size, and new, I sold the tire to her for a temporary replacement. I always thought of replacing my spare with a new one anyways.

The Goodyear Wrangler RT/S was a new one that was from the Firestone recall. It has never been used. Still has the paint stripes in the tread, nibs, and colored protective coating over the letters.It has never been lowered off the bottom of the Explorer. The Explorer has been garaged for the first five years of it being the spare.

Should I tell her to use it just for now, and replace it soon?
Should it be okay to use, with no problem?

One scary thought is that the tire she is replacing has the DOT code of 4200 :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that is the original spare from 1996 (you info says '96) then she probably should not use it at all. It is way past its safe useful life. The face that its never been used means nothing. I was driving from florida to new york last year and had a blow out, put my "new" never used spare on the truck. It was as you describe yours to be and was properly inflated and only lasted my 200 miles before the sidewall gave out all the way around on both sides. I stopped as soon as it went down.

It is not the original. It's a new replacement tire from the Firestone recall. I am not sure when it was mounted, but I am guessing that it was within the year 2000. I know my parents, the previous owners, had to wait a short time for them, since whoever mounted, them had a tough time getting that size in due to the overwhelming replacing of that particular size by Firestone.

I still have a USA-made Michelin LTX M/S as my spare that I got for free from the recall back in 2000. I have no doubt it will last until I either switch tires and sell it or the cable breaks and it falls off. I've only used it once, but would not hesitate to use it as necessary. As it gets older, I might take it easy and not drive at high speed when using it, but unless it's damaged or shows signs of age, I'm not going to fall victim to the mentality of having to buy something just because the people who want to sell it to me say I do.

Tire manufacturers have gone on the record as saying the 'life' of tires is 6-10 years and no more, regardless of mileage. But then there was an investigation and they found they SELL tires that are older than 6 years. If you talk to an engineer they will tell you tires will last a good long while, especially if they never see harsh use. Sure, a tire left out in the sun and weather for 6-10 years would be toast. But one stored in the shade under a truck that has never even been mounted on the lugnuts is hardly a safety risk, and compared to a shot, wire-showing tire, is a lot less of one.

Many automakers recommend replacing tires after six years, and several tire manufacturers (Bridgestone, Michelin) have called for tires to be removed from service 10 years after the date of manufacture. However, an investigative report by Brian Ross on ABC's 20/20 news magazine found that many major retailers such as Goodyear, Wal-Mart, and Sears were selling tires that had been produced six or more years ago. Currently, no law for aged tires exists in the United States.

It should be fine and will probably last just as long as any other tire. However I'm not a fan of mismatched tires, especially on the same axle. I would probably suggest she buy TWO new tires, having them put on the rear, the old rear tires being put on the front, and the old front tire put on as the spare.

that recall ended in 2002 or so, regardless of how good that tire looks it will break apart quickly. i would get rid of it.

It should be fine and will probably last just as long as any other tire. However I'm not a fan of mismatched tires, especially on the same axle. I would probably suggest she buy TWO new tires, having them put on the rear, the old rear tires being put on the front, and the old front tire put on as the spare.

Well, I think the only two matching tires are the ones on the rears, of which, one is showing cords. That is where the Goodyear is going, AFAIK. The other rear one is mostly bald, and pry just as old as the other rear one I am guessing, that being DOT 4200.

Tonight I told her that the Goodyear should only used as short of time as necessary. Buy a full set of tires ASAP, and maybe consider the Goodyear to replace her spare, which needs a flat repair anyways.

Which tire has the DOT date stamp of 4200? One being replaced or the one replacing a bald tire currently on the vehicle (your old one)?

BTW, that means the tire was manufactured the 42nd week of 2000

EDIT; just re-read the title, your old tire is 37th week of 2000? Most of the concern is the rubber compound getting hard, especially on the inside of the casing. Your advice to her is sound (as short of a time as necessary) and should add 'no excessive speed'.

If the tires are in that bad of shape, your advice is what she should follow, get 4 all-new tires (or at least two for the rear if the fronts are ok), and put the Goodyear as the spare if she wants to keep it instead of buying a fifth new one.

I hear the year debate all the time, Just 2 months ago I changed out the rear tires on my S10 beater. They are 12 year old tires. I was driving 90 miles a day without any noise or vibrations from them. If there is any dry rot or cracking, Then replace. If not, Keep on trucking imo

Well, I as digging in a pick-a-part yard today, looking for a replacement spare, and ran across a new/barely used Goodyear Wrangler hanging under an Explorer. After I finally opened the rear hatch that was having some internal difficulties, and searched numerous Explorers for tools to drop the spare, I seen the DOT code on the top of the tire. It was from 2001 :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

I'll pry end up buying a new tire. Right now, I am looking at a Goodyear Wrangler for $82.96 from TireBuyer.

or, since Discount Tire Direct has $50 Visa card with purchase of two tires, I might opt for a pair of Kumho Kr21 at ~$67.82 each after tax and Visa Card, and sell one of them. They are a non-exciting tire, but should be fine for a spare...

Back