• Register Today It's free!

dreaded 4.0 sohc chain slap

RyanP

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger
For starters I have 96,000 on a 2000 explorer sport and have noticed the chain noise. The front only makes noise when its cold, and the rear one ticks under load. Will new tensioners fix this? I have been reading thread after thread about replacing it all. And If I have too, I'll just pull the motor out to do it. I commend you guys that tackle this with the motor still in! Any help will be appreciated. thanks

cheaper and easier to buy a pull out from a newer Mustang (05 and up)
I paid $500 for mine with 35,000 miles on it, they have the newer chain design
and its same or less than buying all the parts and tools you need to do all the chains correctly

hydraulic tensioners

I think that Ford recommends replacing the hydraulic/spring tensioners before replacing the cassettes. They probably should be replaced every 75,000 miles because their springs weaken with age. The springs are the only thing that keep the chains from slipping when the oil pressure is low (i.e. engine start). However, there have not been many forum members that have solved their timing chain rattle by replacing the hydraulic tensioners. The primary (crankshaft to jackshaft) chain tensioner frequently fails. I suggest that you further attempt to isolate the source before replacing anything. The following thread may be helpful:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278100

Thanks htrdlncn for the tip on the mustang motors. I'll probably end up going that route for sure later. I have owned this truck for the past four years. Other than changing the oil with mobil 1 every 6,000 miles I have not had one problem. I drive it so little I haven't needed to buy tires until this winter. I own 3 Fords and this one is always my goto stock parts runner/dd . If I can change the tensioners and get through this winter I'll be happy.
Is there a noticeable difference between the ford parts and the chinese parts on ebay? From what I have found it looks like I am looking at spending a little north of a 100 for either the parts from Ford or a chinese timing set off of ebay.

Back