• Register Today It's free!

Driver Data Collection

Ironworker40

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
All the car companies are sell our driver data to third party who intern sell it to the insurance companies.
How do we disable this in our explorers? What year did they start putting modems in to transmit this info, I believe Fords calls it Telematics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you are referring to Telemetrics.
While some companies may be doing what you stated, I don't know if it applies to "ALL" as you mentioned.
Have you checked your fuse listing to see if it identifies a fuse for that system?

Peter

I believe you are referring to Telemetrics.
While some companies may be doing what you stated, I don't know if it applies to "ALL" as you mentioned.
Have you checked your fuse listing to see if it identifies a fuse for that system?

Peter
I did and I don't see one.
If you search the web there are plenty of news articles about this subject. The NY Times article specifically states others that are doing it. GM has a pending lawsuit over it. GM you can disable it on the app. I have found nothing about dialing an Explorer but there are posts on Mustang and F150 forums about how to disable it on those vehicles.

I read that article before posting. My problem with your initial post was that you stated "All"......
I don't believe it has been determined that ALL manufacturers are doing it.

Peter

little bit of a late response, but I had the same question and did some digging a little while ago.

This website Vehicle Privacy Report will show you what data your vehicle collects. Not sure how accurate it is but based on what I know, it seems correct.

The UI was a little confusing, but from what I can tell the left side shows you what YOUR car does, and the right shows you info about the current privacy policies from the automaker that apply to all their current vehicles.

I didn't want to use my real VIN so I put in one from an identical car at a salvage auction. I learned my 2014 explorer does not send Ford any info but collects it internally inside the vehicle computer, I'm guessing mostly for things like adaptive shifting etc. The newer ones probably do, mine is pre carplay. Your 2015 probably has the same SYNC system, so I would guess yours is the same as mine and does not send out data anywhere unless someone plugs in something to retrieve the data directly from the car, say at a dealer or something. I think that would really only be for diagnostics though.

TL;DR My educated guess is that your explorer is NOT sending data to ford or anyone else the way a new vehicle would.

I believe Ford's more modern vehicles do collect data and send it to Ford. Pretty sure the mustang actually has a telemetry fuse you can pull to stop it.

Now and then, my Sync screen will come up with a message saying it is sending data. I haven't been paying attention to what the actual wording is but will try to check it next time it happens. My 2020 Aviator did the same.

Peter

Now and then, my Sync screen will come up with a message saying it is sending data. I haven't been paying attention to what the actual wording is but will try to check it next time it happens. My 2020 Aviator did the same.

Peter
If you're interested in learning more about it, I made a whole thread today where I did research to find out everything I could about data collection on the 5th gens.

My car definitely isn’t uploading any data.

If this concerns you throw your phone and computer away and get a legacy or budget commuter car.

Back