Driver door handle question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver door handle question

jmiller427

Reaction score
Okay so before y'all tell me to go do a search, I did.
Problem is you guys are so helpful and there was so much info, I now have more questions then answers.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I need to replace the outside handle, fix the spring, or the latch mechanism itself. I'm looking for the quickest fix, this truck does not get driven frequently.

Symptoms - door lock power mechanism broke at rivet, so I opened the door and reattached with bolt. But things never lined up well. Using the unlock button, the latch would sometime unlock all the way, other times not. When it did, I could only open from the outside - the inside handle won't open the door period, it's kind of stuck pulled out a little.

Now, the door won't unlock all the way at all, so I can't even get the door open.

Any help figuring out what I need to replace or fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be two probs combined,The inside handle has a set of teeth that wear or strip (get a new one from the wrecker) and the lock might just need some lube.(pull off the door panel and spray it well.

I'm not sure the teeth are stripped.
When I had the door panel off and pulled the inside door handle, it would open and then get stuck. If I pulled on the rod that connects it and moved it back and forth, I could get the lever to fall back into place and then it would work, but then get stuck again.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Inside Handle R & R...

I just made this repair on my explorer. My passenger side rear door did the exact same thing. Open the door with the inside handle and the handle would not return into position. It would stay in the open position. Like you, I removed the panel and pulled the rod and it returned into position. It would only cycle one time. My suggestion is to replace the inside door handle. It should only take about 30 minutes. Good luck

ps...Don't lose the little clip. My replacement part didn't include it. I posted a nice video of this repair that I found online.

I just made this repair on my explorer. My passenger side rear door did the exact same thing. Open the door with the inside handle and the handle would not return into position. It would stay in the open position. Like you, I removed the panel and pulled the rod and it returned into position. It would only cycle one time. My suggestion is to replace the inside door handle. It should only take about 30 minutes. Good luck

ps...Don't lose the little clip. My replacement part didn't include it. I posted a nice video of this repair that I found online.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :dpchug:

Right on you were. $18 and 10 minutes and the door is working again. I didn't fix the spring yet cause I didn't feel like dealing with that yet, but replaced the inner door handle and all works again.

Back