• Register Today It's free!

Driver seat recline lever.

Max Sharratt

Reaction score
City, State
Brasilia, Distrito Federal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 V6 4x2 manual change
I bought a 1997 V6 4x2 manual change Explorer in 2002 with 62000km on the clock lady and one previous owner. Since then it has transported my family and cat to our beach home 1500km from Brasilia in safety, comfort and style once or twice a year. Today the driver seat recline lever broke at the joint where it swivels. It had been a little bent since I bought it and I have treated the lever with care but I suspect someone in the local ford dealers where I have it serviced wasn't so careful. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix it?

thanks

Max Sharratt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know there's a thread on here somewhere. if you use the search feature some did a how to on how to fix it. Without getting a new seat or a whole new swivel mechanism i don't believe there is an easy way to fix it. if i remember correctly it involved a drill and some metal.

Justin

Fixing seat recliner lever

Thanks Justin. I found the thread. It looks reasonably straightforward once the seat is removed. Just wish my brother back in England was here with me in Brazil as he repairs vintage bikes and this fix to him would be an hour's work at most.

Max

Thanks Justin. I found the thread. It looks reasonably straightforward once the seat is removed. Just wish my brother back in England was here with me in Brazil as he repairs vintage bikes and this fix to him would be an hour's work at most.

Max

can you post a link to the tread you found. I have the same problem. I have electrics on the driver side but the manual lever on the passenger which was broken when I purchased the vehicle. It's not a big issue, but would just like to tidy it up. It seems like the metal joint along the lever can be quite fragile.

thanks in advance.

Hope this gets you there.
My repair was adaptation of this. The guy I found to do it first removed the seat, then removed the whole recliner assembly, then hammered out the pin on the lever where the shear occurred, then soldered a piece of metal behind the two pieces of the broken lever, then screwed the two pieces for added strength, put in a new pin and reassembled the recliner assembler and put back the seat. Charged me $25 but that is brazilian rate. If you need more info let me know.
Good luck .

BrooklynBay
How To: Fix a broken seat recliner lever.

Back