Drivetrain vibration while towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivetrain vibration while towing

skpowell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have a drivetrain vibration on a 2000 xlt AWD which feels to come from the passenger rear tire.

It has happened one time without towing. I went to pass a car on the interstate (running 72 at time) and I thought I blew a tire as the vibration was so bad. I backed off the gas and it stopped and did not happen again for 80 miles. I picked up my sailboat (16 hobie - maybe 500 lb with trailer) and the problem came and went and different speeds on the trip to the lake. Unhooked the trailer and did not feel it on the way home (compared to towing) The vehicle has 160K of which 80% are highway. I have had the vehicle serviced on a regular basis. The transmission fluid looks good and at the right level. It has not had a fluid leak in its lifetime.

Any Ideas?????

Steve
2000 XLT AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The driveshaft u-joints are good? Wheel-bearing? Or brakes siezing up on 1 side staying engaged?

U-joints were replaced about 30K ago. They are on my list to check better as I detected no play last night in a hurry. I did not notice the rotors being hot. The wheel bearings are a good suggestion. Thanks!

Steve
2000 xlt

I'd pull the driveshaft and check the u-joints myself. They can seem good and you won't know unless you remove the driveshaft and check them.

u-joints

I will pull the drive shaft next week and check. I'm happy no one believes it is a transmission problem.

Thanks for all the advice.

Steve
2000 XLT

Back