Easy Tune Ups for faster Exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy Tune Ups for faster Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Nacogdoches, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 5.0L V8
i have a 96 ford exploder it has a 5.0 V8 and the only thing i have done to it is a K&N cold Air Intake what are some other easy little things i can do to make it faster and can you kinda be specific im kinda new on ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hard to stay simple...

Well some starters would be throttle body, torque monster headers, engine chip/performance programmer: and some synthetic oil!

Well some starters would be throttle body, torque monster headers, engine chip/performance programmer: and some synthetic oil!

a bigger throttle body won't do much for you. Torque monster headers will really wake your explorer up, but they're not quick or easy. A computer programmer is good, check out sct for that. We have our very own sct dealer here his name is Jah81592, and he does really great work. You could visit his website www.hensonperformance.com synthetic oil is good, but I doubt you'll see much of a power gain from it. A cat back exhaust can help a little, but without headers you won't get much out of it.

with the intake hes got and the programmer-- a throttle body does do some good :) I agree with all your points though... these things all in combination are what will extend the life of your engine and give you better performance: Synth oil is always my suggestion because it gives less friction and makes your engine last longer than conventional oil-- i myself am starting to mod some parts of my engine and am also in agreement with Ronn Motor CO. to install an H2GO system to test efficiency results-- an extensive how=to and Coverage* will also come from that :)

with the intake hes got and the programmer-- a throttle body does do some good :) I agree with all your points though... these things all in combination are what will extend the life of your engine and give you better performance: Synth oil is always my suggestion because it gives less friction and makes your engine last longer than conventional oil-- i myself am starting to mod some parts of my engine and am also in agreement with Ronn Motor CO. to install an H2GO system to test efficiency results-- an extensive how=to and Coverage* will also come from that :)

Have you looked into what it takes to put a bigger throttle body on? It's a custom job, and the elbow isn't much if any bigger than 65mm anyway. From what I've read on here, it just helps a little with throttle response. There are some available on ebay that have been slightly ported, and and had the screws, etc. trimmed down. I'm in the 300hp range and I don't have one, if that tells you how I feel about how necessary one is.

ww0rdd

well im not necessarily talking about a new throttle body, a machined spacer and maybe those phenolic intake spacers you've got-- how are those for you btw? what are you feelings on intake spacerS?
:thumbsup::D

well im not necessarily talking about a new throttle body, a machined spacer and maybe those phenolic intake spacers you've got-- how are those for you btw? what are you feelings on intake spacerS?
:thumbsup::D

The throttle body spacers are worthless junk and won't do anything for you. The intake spacers that go between the upper and lower intakes are a worthy mod, good for a little more torque with the longer intake runners. Which is basically all the throttle body spacer does, just doesn't give nearly as much volume, and costs a whole lot more money. If you get a spacer get one for a 94 cobra as it will have the proper length bolts that you need.

good lookin out ^_^

awesome! thanks for the tip-- you wouldn't happen to have a store/link to where i can find that 94 cobra intake spacer would ya? :D

thanks!:salute:

I am looking for a Cold Air Intake and a Programmer for my 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6L V8? Can anyone help me out?

Well I need badly :)

Synthetic oil is not always a guaranteed power gain. Higher mileage vehicles with low compression and worn rings will actually be harmed by synthetic oil. Synthetics have smaller molecules and therefore provide better lubrication. The downside of smaller molecular structure is oil burning. Synthetics are not recommended for high mileage vehicles because the oil actually can be burned off as it slips past the rings and into the combustion chamber. Synthetics are great, but not always.

i have a 96 ford exploder it has a 5.0 V8 and the only thing i have done to it is a K&N cold Air Intake what are some other easy little things i can do to make it faster and can you kinda be specific im kinda new on ford

umm... a big bottle of NOS! DUH! and some colored pedals!

No seriously listen to the other guys as i have no clue how to make it go faster..

i switched to full synthetics at around 135K miles and so far after a few months and a 300 mile trip the oil level is still the same with no leaks and all other drivetrain components with full synthetic oils are still full..

Back