• Register Today It's free!

EB owner needs help

rgomez

Reaction score
I own a 1999 Ford Eddie Bauer 1999 with
Premium sound System (Match 1).

It seems to sound good but it sucks...I
am interested in changing the front and
rear speakers and the tiny subwoofer in the back.

my question is:

Can I change all the speakers and conserve the OEM head unit? I want to conserve the cd-changer because my wife like to control the sound with the steering wheel buttons.

I know that i will need a new amp...any suggestions...i would like to upgrade the
sub..can I install in the same place a
bigger sub..i mean a 10" for example?

Thanks

Robert

Hi rgomez!

Yeah, you can just change the speakers without changing anything else, and the sound will be MUCH better. 5x7 or 6x8, or 6.5s with an oval plate adapter.

There are subs that will actually fit that small area on the right side of your cargo area in that cubby hole. Though it will seem like it's costing you more, you get the benefit of that space to finally be of some use, and not using up any of your cargo space. There are the loaded versions specifically for the explorer: Q-logic, which you can see at www.crutchfield.com MTX, www.mtxaudio.com and JL Audio, www.jlaudio.com They all range in price, but the easiest above all and the most cost efficient IMO, is the MTX stealthform that is already powered at a reasonable price.

There are supporters of both the JL Audio version, and the MTX version. The JL version is more expensive. It's all personal preference. I believe if you go to the library and look for the August 99 version of Car Audio and Electronics, there is a direct test between these two companies' enclosures.

Both of these come in 10" sizes if you want. Last thing, if you're keeping the stock stuff, you'll need an adaptor of some kind to tap into your stock system's sound to get the input signal to the new amp. This will be like Audioline or something, check www.go2pac.com for OEM integration stuff. Basically a converter that will change the speaker signal out to RCA line out. Hope this helps you!

Jon

Thanks Jon I really apreciate your help.

Best Wishes and Happy New Year.

Robert

You're welcome! I hope this helps you out a little. Happy New Year!

Back