EB steering wheel on my stock 98' XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EB steering wheel on my stock 98' XLT?

snair2

Reaction score
City, State
Elmont, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
well i was wondering if i can take that sweet ass EB steering wheel and replace my stock explorer steering with it. i mean, i dont care if the extra buttons dont work, like the radio and ac controls, but would it be hard to change the steering wheels? if i remember correctly, the EB steering wheel is similar to the 1995-2001 towncar steering wheels, and i can get one for cheap, and just get myself the proper ford airbag...

here are some images to help illustrate my point:

this is the stock wheel i have now:

DSC00767.JPG

i want this wheel (which i can get in black off a towncar, and i can also get the wheel from a towncar to have no radio and ac controls):

(from a ford explorer eddie bauer with radio controls)
e5_1.jpg

(this is what i plan on getting off a towncar (notice there arent any radio or ac controls))
c9_1.jpg

now, i have never ever changed steering wheels, but these two wheels look very similar in designs, and the only real difference is the fact that it will be put into a non EB explorer. my main concern is, i just want to easily remove the old wheel and just attach the new wheel with the proper wiring (no splicing) and then get the ford air bag.

i like the look and feel of the towncar steering wheel to be honest, and i like the way i can put my hand on it unlike on the explorers wheel...

Back