EGR valve/DPFE removal difficulties | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR valve/DPFE removal difficulties

F15E_WSO

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT; 2001 Exp Sport
EGR valve/DPFE removal difficulties//Added Final outcome w/ Lessons Learned

Members,
SES light on 2002 6 cyl,4.0 SOHC w/ 61K miles. Code P0402 indicated EGR but after reading numerous posts on subject will explore DPFE.

Finally found the DPFE and my question is how do I get this thing off? Two metal tubes from metal pipe rising towards EGR, DPFE seems attached with two "foam/rubber" hoses. Do I just pull? So often I pull and something breaks--would love to avoid that.

Same question for EGR valve. Have new one and seems like the "L" shaped rubber tube just slides over top of stem in EGR. Well, I pulled "vigorously" on old line and nothing is moving. Again, I don't want it to rip in my hands.

Plan is to remove and double check DPFE as this may be all I need for SES lite, if that does not correct problem will continue and replace EGR. EGR is still in the box and I can return it.

BL--Do I just pull "HARDER" on the rubber fittings/attachments? Don't want to break anything.----:thumbsup:Yes, this was the case, JUST pull harder, finally "broke" loose and came off w/ a little twisting.

Ok, did some more homework;

Ran across this and did voltage checks my Brn/Lt Grn is 5.0vlts ish and the Brn Wht is 5.0 volts.-----:(Mistake committed here, I did this check with clip/harness removed from DPFE and put Dig VoltMeter pins into end of clip (easy solution) but in reality got accurate reading when clip was ON the DPFE and I "poked" through insulation and got readings with system on as indicated below and circuit intact. Brn/LtGrn was 1.0 and Brn/Wht was 5 vlts

Using a digital voltmeter, check for voltage on the brown/light green wire. Look for a reading between .45 and 1.1 volts. If your reading is outside that range, you have one more voltage check to perform before replacing the sensor. Check the voltage on the brown/white wire. It should read 5 volts. If it doesn’t, the sensor isn’t getting power from the computer. Then it’s a whole new ballgame. If you have 5 volts, and the reading from the brown/light green wire is outside the range, replace the DPFE. After replacement, perform the voltage check again to eliminate the possibility that the EGR valve is not seating properly.

Thought this would be useful for folks in the quandry DPFE or EGR like was/am

Link to site I found;

http://free-auto-repair-advice.blogspot.com/2007/08/understanding-ford-dpfe-and-egr-system.html

Other lessons learned that made this easier. :thumbsup:

I Put Liquid Wrench on everything 2 days prior before I had time to complete the job--must have helped.

10mm socket for EGR bolts, 1 1/16 open end wrench for large nut to release EGR. Pretty tight area, and don't think I could have done this without removing the DPFE just for added room.

Loosen the large nut FIRST so you do not put unnecessary pressure on assembly when it is not supported by two bolts at top.

Gasket came off cleanly with old EGR so that was nice (wish you the same luck). Easier to remove vacuum hose from EGR once it was loose from engine as I could "spin" and pull to help "break" it loose.

Recommend you pull battery cable at start of job, not so much for safety reasons (though that never hurts) but I am not certain but think this is needed to reset SES lite:scratch: I put entire thing back together and SES was still on--grrrr.

Drove around block hoping it would turn off, occured to me then that pulling battery cable for an easy "reset" was recommended here and sure enough lite when off. I had pulled battery cable weeks ago hoping for the easy fix and SES was off for about 5 minutes and then returned. Suggest you try this easy fix before driving to the auto store as this could be the problem. If enroute to auto zone lite does NOT come back on, then go to Hooters for lunch and tell your wife you fixed it for less than $15--instant hero (pay for lunch with cash).

Mission complete, total cost $61. Still recommend the DPFE investigation as this is part of the equation.

Hope this helps other Noobs like me

Hank

DPFE Valve

Hello Hank.
That DPFE valve is very easy to remove.

Just grasp the rubber hoses one at a time where they attach to the stainless lines and twist. Remove the valve with the hoses attached and then you can remove the hoses from the valve. That's the way I did it.

Rattle the valve to see if any condensation comes out. Sometimes if there is heavy condensation buildup that means the tubes may be partly or fully plugged with carbon.

To remove the lines i went in over the passenger side wheel and unscrewed the female fitting at the bottom of the line where it attaches to the manifold fitting. I think i used a 1" or 1 1/16" open wrench.

Same on top of the EGR valve. That 90 degree elbow fitting just twists off.

There is the same fitting but male this time at the end of the pipe attaching to the egr block. Remove it. Then there are two small screws that hold the egr onto the intake plenum via bracket. These two screws are 10mm i believe and are removable from the firewall facing forward. Then the egr just pulls out with a wiggle as there is an "O" ring on the tube where it enters the intake plenum...that is assuming you have the 4.0 SOHC motor.

It is a fairly easy job that you can certainly tackle. I put anti seize on the fittings upon assembly just in case I have to remove it down the road.

Hope this helps...John

I noticed this an old thread but I thought I'd add to it.

I also had to replace the DPFE (because of a P0402 code) and realized that the DPFE sensor was on really tight. Everytime I pulled I felt like I was going to rip the metal tubes out. I decided rather than damage something I would just cut, remove and replace the existing hoses.

I went to the motorcraft website and found the item number. Rather than wait for hoses and DPFE to be shipped, I went to the stealership with the item numbers in hand. The hoses cost about $6 a piece (sold by the foot) and the DPFE was $76.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2002&m=Ford&mo=Explorer#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

I started by using a sharp box cutter and slit the hoses (along the length of the hose) one at a time. After after cutting the hoses I was able the easily remove the DPFE then I removed the hoses. I used the old hoses as a guide for cutting the correct length of the new hoses. I installed the new hoses one at a time until they reached the stops/collars on the two metal tubes. Then pushed in the DPFE. Everything took about 15-20 minutes.

After clearing the P0402 code, the explorer has been running with out any codes for 2 weeks now. Thanks for info above, it helped me narrow things down.

For a nice explanation about the EGR and DPFE, I liked this link at the ford focus forum. Hope this info helps some one else. (pay it forward ;) )
http://www.focushacks.com/?modid=80&ht=DPFE%20Sensor%20and%20EGR%20Information

Back