Electric Fan install (replacing clutch fan) to gain some mpg | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan install (replacing clutch fan) to gain some mpg

Yup thats a small fan at the bottom. Might make a nice addition to the ac circuit. I wonder how it will do as the AC fan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Guys, I have an issue regarding my rear wiper motor being constantly on. I turn it off and it continues to keep going. I pull my fuse under the dash and it still continues to go.....very weird. So I went to the front of my 2004 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L and removed the high current fuse for the rear wiper. I have to take it out for a couple days and then put it back in, and sometimes its still on. What you think the problem is?

My guess would be your switch is faulty? Wish you luck on figuring it out.

they say that an electric cooling fan from a taurus or a lincoln mark VIII will do the trick for a ford explorer. first, the taurus fan puts out 3600 cfm and tha mark VIII put out about 4000 cfm, either one will do the job since supposedly the explo only needs about 2300cfm . also recommended for the electric fan setup is a dcc unit . would someone verify if this is true? I have a 2005 xlt w/4.0l v6 and i want get rid of the clutch fan but I need to know what year taurus or mark VIII fan to get and which dcc unit would do it for my otherwise stock explorer

very interested in detailed mpg delta, as a clutch fan, running on mechanical energy is more efficient than converting mechanical energy to electrical energy; however, the difference might or might not be made up by the energy savings when the fan is not needed to be running.

My thinking is that if you have lots of highway miles, the electrical fan is the winner, if more city driving, not.

Note: My son's BMW has both a clutch fan AND an electrical thermostatically-controlled fan operating on the same radiator. Maybe there is a combination that would work for our trucks, by cutting down (removing blades) the clutch fan assembly??

Has there been any MPG data yet? I'm wondering how much gas is being saved vs. how much is being spent on fans and such... What is going to be the recovery time to make your money back from the fans vs. the gas savings?

Just thought i would mention that factory fan that someone posted looks like the same one that came on my lincoln aviator. But mine still has the regular clutch fan in addition to it. So im guessing it isnt powerful enough to be run on its own. Ive been looking at doing a full out electric swap myself. Do the taurus and mark 8 fans fit pretty easily or is there alot of trimming to get them onto the radiator.

Just thought i would mention that factory fan that someone posted looks like the same one that came on my lincoln aviator. But mine still has the regular clutch fan in addition to it. So im guessing it isnt powerful enough to be run on its own. Ive been looking at doing a full out electric swap myself. Do the taurus and mark 8 fans fit pretty easily or is there alot of trimming to get them onto the radiator.

Where is the factory electric fan in your Aviator located? Is it sandwiched between the radiator and a/c condenser? Where does the fan plug in to? I ask because I'm looking to add the factory electric fan to my truck ('04 XLT, 4.0 V6, 4x4) that doesn't have a factory electric fan. Pics would be nice...if you're willing.

Thanks

-Mike

We have been through this in the Jeep world over and over. The MPG gains are not even measurable. I tried it on my 69 Firebird years ago, again, no difference in mileage. The fan clutches really do their job.

the fan is easy to find... what about wiring?

Ok.... it looks like finding a fan and mounting it is not that difficult... what really bothers me is the wiring... now it turns out that you need to think about your ac, thermostat...

let's say I get a nice fan, mount it, etc... will this supply everything else I need?

http://summitracing.com/parts.aspx?sku=HDA-3651

Your pictures are gone, the link is broken. Can you please re add your pictures?

Back