• Register Today It's free!

Emission not ready question

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2003 Explorer and does anyone have information on passing the drive cycle PCM test because the emissions tester is reading "not ready." I had 2 tests run and they both failed even after I drove 200 miles after the first test. My snap on solus indicates the p1000 code is gone and no other codes are found. The check engine light is not on and the truck runs like a champ. Firestone is blasting my 40 a pop to run the emissions tester computer and they will not put the PA state inspection sticker on until the emissions passes, even though the car past inspection with flying colors. Any data sheet available regarding cycling the computer would be appreciated.

Thanks
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which OBD monitor is not showing ready?

I think the emissions tech said both 02 sensors and the evap. He told me that I would have to drive and put on about another 200 miles. I ran into this problem when I drove it off the showroom floor and I recalled the dealer tech giving me a tech sheet on how to reset the drive cycles, but unfortunately I must of tossed it away 11 years ago..

The check engine light is not on and the truck runs like a champ. Firestone is blasting my 40 a pop to run the emissions tester computer and they will not put the PA state inspection sticker on until the emissions passes, even though the car past inspection with flying colors. Any data sheet available regarding cycling the computer would be appreciated.

Thanks
bizzs

Try taking your Explorer to a different repair shop for your state inspection for a second opinion and see if they get the same results as Firestone claims, such as a quick oil change shop. Quick oil change shops have nothing to gain $$$$$ off of you by failing your state inspection, since they don't do major repairs at their locations other than fluid changes, filters, light bulbs and wiper blades. I wouldn't trust a nationally franchised repair shop to touch my vehicle such as Firestone, Midas, Monroe or Sears for any repairs or state inspections and they all have reputations for price gouging customers or creating phony repair issues. I haven't stepped foot in one of those places for repairs in over 30+ years.

I do all me repairs myself and the only reason why I took it there was because of a special they were running charging 34.00 for both state inspection and emissions. Most places around my area charged round 80.00

I know exactly what your saying. I listened to the service manager explain to a man that his front brakes looked good, but the rotors had rust pits on them. He said that it would last less then a year and firestone was running a special and if wanted the discount to jump on it now because he didnt know when the special ended. The upper higher ups don't tell them that information until that day to cancel the promotion. He quoted the man $589.00 plus state inspection-emission fees totaling over 600. I almost fell off my seat because I did my entire explorer repairing the front, back rotors, brake sets, and parking brakes for 140.00 They were reputable brands from a closeout special Rockauto was promoting. It took me less then an hour to install.. These places are a joke and your are correct that service is more reputable at a small local shop because they want their customer to return knowing they got the bang for the buck. The bad news about my situation is that I already paid for the service and they will not return my money because two emissions tests were all ready preformed.

After using a full tank of gas driving around, I checked all the tests and once again all test passed according to my snap on Solus. I took my explorer back to Firestone and showed the tech my results which were the same as the last time he had tested the emission. The tech ran another test and it passed. Imagine that! I told him that I was not going to pay for the test because I thought they were blowing smoke up my ass. The service manager was kind enough to waive the fees and issued the state and emission stickers.

This was a lesson well learned. All this place did was try to sell me something like tires and a fuel flush, etc. The best one was they wanted to replace my air filter for 30.00. I can buy a good air filter from rockauto for less then 10 and replace it within 5 seconds. Never again for me at Firestone. These inspection deals are just a way to lure people in for the kill and I fell for it.

Bizzs

The service manager was kind enough to waive the fees and issued the state and emission stickers.

This was a lesson well learned. All this place did was try to sell me something like tires and a fuel flush, etc. The best one was they wanted to replace my air filter for 30.00. I can buy a good air filter from rockauto for less then 10 and replace it within 5 seconds. Never again for me at Firestone. These inspection deals are just a way to lure people in for the kill and I fell for it.

Bizzs

Glad you passed the state vehicle inspection and got your window stickers. In New York, our state vehicle inspection includes an emissions test, but not a separate sticker for the emission part of the inspection. We get one inspection sticker to be placed in the lower, driver side corner of the windshield right next to the vehicle registration sticker.

Back