• Register Today It's free!

Enable DRLs on US spec Explorer?

miker104

Reaction score
City, State
N KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
So I have been thinking of moving back to Canada and taking my 04 Explorer with me and of course it would need DRLs. Unlike the newer ones that can have DRLs enabled via software the older models use a DRL module that sends pulsed voltage to operate the low beams at about 80% power. I looked high and low to find out if I could update my X to add that feature without hooking up an aftermarket unit.

Review of many threads/websites told me how to disable them by unplugging the module but none specifically said how to enable them. There is a DRL module P/N XW7Z-15A272-AB for the 2002-2010 Explorer.

3.jpg

There is a fuse in the Engine Bay fuse box (#14) 10 amp that provides power to the DRL module as well as fuse #30 (5 amp) under the driver side dash that is also used for the DRL (and other systems).

In some of the older vehicles (especially Ford Trucks) they use a resistor near the fog light/low beam wiring to lower the voltage to the light when operating in DRL mode. Apparently my X does not use this part.

After some searching I was able to find that the DRL module is installed under the hood aft of the fuse box and uses connector C1030 (rectangular 6 pin) to function. I searched high and low to find this connector but alas it is not installed in my X so an easy installation of factory DRL for my 2004 Explorer XLT is not possible.

At this point I do not want to either find a Canadian X wiring harness or go into changing the wiring to install this connector as it would likely be much more work than I am willing to undertake.

Here is the wiring for the C1030 connector if anyone would find it of value:

Pin Circuit Circuit Function
1 13 (RD/BK) Power, Hot with low beams on
2 434 (LB/BK) Voltage supplied at all times (overload protected)
3 932 (GY/WH) Voltage supplied in Start and Run (overload protected)
4 1203 (BK/LB) Ground
5 12 (LG/BK) Power, Hot with high beams on
6 162 (LG/RD) Parking brake switch

Good luck to anyone else wanting to undertake this task

Back