engine code 214 cylinder ID circuit fault? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine code 214 cylinder ID circuit fault?

07mustangGT

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XL
i just scanned my 94 explorer 4.0L and i have a code 214 cylinder ID (CID) circuit fault. does anyone know possibly where i could start diagnosing? or possibly what it might be? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm currently dealing with this problem. I believe its the camshaft position sensor, but on certain years it could be the crankshaft position sensor.

I unplugged my camshaft sensor and my truck ran absolutely the same, so I know there's either no power going to it, but most likely the sensor is hooped. I already pulled one from my local auto wrecker, I just have to check to make sure there's power at the plug, and then i'm going to swap it.

let me know how it goes for you

its going to be a little while though, as i'm trying to battle an overheating issue, which might end up being the head gasket after I rule everything out.

I hope someone chimes in on this, as I'm not too sure on if there is calibration instructions or not, as this is pretty much a digital distributor.

If the computer calibrates it, great. Pull the old one out and put the new one in.

There's no "calibration" to do on the camshaft pos sensor, but you do have to align it correctly, just like a distributor. Except where you have to use a timing light with a distributor, you just use the window and tab on the sensor. On the 94, there is a window on top of the cam pos sensor. This should be easy to see on the sensor that you plan to put into the engine. Set piston 1 on TDC compression. Note the position of the tab inside the sensor with relation to the tick mark on the window. The tab turns with the camshaft. Make sure the new sensor looks the same when you put it in. Below is a picture of mine before I pulled it out. It might be tough to see while the engine is in the truck.
0528071407_mod.jpg

well it just came to my attention that my battery light is on now. i replaced the alternator with a used one i knew was good. and im using the battery out of my mustang (which is a good battery). and the lights still on. as for the CEL i replaced the crank sensor (used), ICM (used) from my 91 EB explorer parts truck which was running when i bought it just the body was in terrible shape and bought it for the rebuilt trans. as for the cam sensor its located at the rear of the motor right? thanks

Back