Engine problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine problem.

buddha

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
I had my 1991 4l v6 rebuilt 4 yrs ago when the head gasket went at 260k.Last oct. it started to sound like it had a sticking or colasped lifter.Noise went away with oil change.Came back a couple of months later.changed oil again but noise stayed.Added Risilone and noise went away but started up
again a month later flushed engine and changed oil but noise stayed.Added expensive super lube and noise went away only to start up again a month later.Took it back to the rebuilders when coolant showed up in the oil.They changed the head gaskets and put in new lifters, pushrods,and rocker arms.They also checked all the valves.Still had what sounds like lifter noise.No water in oil for 3 weeks then oil had lots of coolant in it.Took it back to shop where they put in new intake gasket and retorqued head gaskets.Still getting water in oil.The shop is stumped as no water gets in oil if you leave the coolant level down a half gallon.Water gets in oil even if you do not run the motor if rad is full.Lifter noise has quit again.Shop wants to pull engine to find problem.They are going good for the labour but parts cost are killing me.This motor went through about a cup of coolant every 3 weeks since it was rebuilt.The lifter noise started all of a sudden on a camping trip .Sounded like the engine was going to throw a rod.Did not think we
were going to make it out of the bush but it quieted down to a loud tick after a few miles of low speed driving.Engine runs fine except when the ticking gets loud .Then it losses a bit of power and runs a little rough.Anybody have a problem like this or think they know whats causing these problems.Should I just scrap this engine or let the shop try and repair it.

G'day Buddha...I suggest you check the threads on timing chain noises.
It appears all these Exploders are...well...exploding...mine has a lifter sound as well but at start up sounds like a diesel...I'm thinking timing chains but after reading Denmacs thread...there might be a light at the end of the tunnel...but it's probably a train.

Back