Engine skipping SOLVED- New coil packs installed 4.6L V8 *PICS* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine skipping SOLVED- New coil packs installed 4.6L V8 *PICS*

thepotroast

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8
I was having a hard time getting my engine skipping issue properly addressed. It first started a week after buying my truck from the dealer. :roll:

Specs:
2003 EB 4.6L V8, 83k miles

The engine would skip only when under a load at low RPM's. For instance, going uphill in a high gear under a load on the motor. In higher RPM's, idle or when shifting gears it would not skip. At first there was no check engine light, and I wasn't sure on the maintenance (or lack thereof) from the previous owner. So I threw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner through it and new air cleaner (the old one was nasty...so there's an indication of the maintenance routine =/ ). I was also thinking maybe it was just a bad tank of gas. No luck, and after burning through that tank of fuel, the check engine light eventually came on. :(

Had the codes pulled, came up as a multiple misfire on startup and misfire on Cylinder #6. So I knew it was either the plugs or the coil pack(s). I put new OEM Motorcraft Platinums in it a few weeks ago, and it seemed to be ok for the first few days of driving. Thought it was a quick $30 fix. Nope. Started misfiring again, same as before. :thumbdwn:

So I took the plunge and bought a new coil pack set. I opted for aftermarket ones from Accel. They are $200/set online from multiple retailers. I finished the job tonight in about 45 minutes. Since I had just removed the stock ones a few weeks ago in order to change the plugs, I knew the routine. Pretty straightforward and a relatively cheap and easy fix. I just got back from a decent road trip all through the mountains putting various loads on the engine that would have made it sputter all over prior, and it purred like a new car the entire time! :burnout:

I am relieved. This issue was a fuel waster, embarrassing anytime someone was in the car with me, and frankly annoying to say the least. Just going to include a couple of pics here to show the set of coil packs before and after I installed them. I had intended to potentially write another "How To" as I have done in the past, but this is pretty straightforward. So if anyone has any questions about it, I guess this post would be the right place to ask :)

Thanks and I hope that this perhaps will help someone at some point down the road, with the same engine skipping issues on their 4.6L V8! :salute:

In the box: $200/shipped - Amazon.com Link HERE
2017m.jpg

About to perform non-invasive surgery:
2020z.jpg

Intake cowl is off, stock coil packs about to be removed:
2021ms.jpg

Shiny :) Love the color too!
2024b.jpg

Passenger side - stock cold air intake has to be removed, including a few hose disconnects:
2026s.jpg

Passenger side done, time to button her up!
2027y.jpg

LOL, I actually did the same thing about 3 months ago. Was having serious misfire issues and after changing the COPS with Accels, she runs STRONG!!!

Did you remove the stickers? If so, good call because mine are peeling off...:(

Back