Engine sounds (How to improve?)

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
The 3.5 liter is a nice engine that saves you on gas but it doesn't provide that tough roar sound the cologne V6 OHV gave me on my 95. Anyway I can tweak it to give me a deeper, nice loud engine sound? I just hate the quiet interior! I want to hear that power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously?......the engineers spend millions tuning the exhaust and deadening the sound, we have very expensive sound glass and you want more noise?

You bought the wrong vehicle.

You need a Mustang GT500

Turn off radio.
Open windows.
Open moonroof.
Maybe remove air filter.
Maybe remove some or most of your carpet.
Remove OEM exhaust system, including cats.
Put a piece of black electrical tape over your Check Engine Light.
Post VIN# here, for future buyers.
ROCK ON, my friend!:)

The 3.5 liter is a nice engine that saves you on gas but it doesn't provide that tough roar sound the cologne V6 OHV gave me on my 95. Anyway I can tweak it to give me a deeper, nice loud engine sound? I just hate the quiet interior! I want to hear that power.

easy, just install more speakers and add a subwoofer facing outside and play a CD or audio file with the engine roar that you want to hear or you want others to hear! :p:

I just don't like the little whine sound the engine makes. I was hoping that I could maybe find a modification like adding a bar like they do on the mustang to deepen the sound.

I just don't like the little whine sound the engine makes. I was hoping that I could maybe find a modification like adding a bar like they do on the mustang to deepen the sound.

adding a bar? what bar?
^^^ What he said. What bar???

If your talking about the bar that goes from strut tower to strut tower, that isn't for sound LOL :crazy: that is used for stiffening up the body and improving handling. Again LOL!!!!!!!!

Hmm, interesting. I just thought there would be a way to deepen the sound without messing with the exhaust. Reason this came up is because my engine makes a whining noise and I'm wondering if that's normal or not.

By the way, that little device is pretty cool haha. Although I don't think I'm that desperate for cool noise.

I agree about wanting a bit more sound, just a bit, and only when at full throttle. I love the fact that they have done away with so much of the wind, road, tranny, etc. noise.

I haven't seen the exhaust on the Explorer to know the parts but some vehicles have a resonator and a muffler that are two separate pieces. In those cases it is possible to simply remove the resonator and replace it with a straight section of pipe. Very low cost and potentially easily reversed, depending on the way the system is built.

If you do try something, please post a video of before and after.

Back