• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap / tranny ?

Kyle K.

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT
Hey guys been a while since I've been on, been working and busy buying a house ( watches money fly away ). Anyway finally ready to replace my 91 4.0 with the 97 4.0 I have and pulled the clutch off the 91 engine only to find that the crank has 6 bolts where the crank on the 97 engine (which had an auto tranny) has 8. So what are my options here? Can I just use the flywheel from a 97 era manual truck? Do I have to have something made? Do I need to weld in the old flywheel and have my machinist drill 8 holes? (would this survive?) Any options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Kyle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anyone?

C'mon guys someones gotta know the answer to this question. Until I know I can't go any further with my engine replacement.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to use a flywheel from a 97.

spline count and diameter

The reason i was asking is because although i am sure the 97 flywheel will bolt up i wasn't sure if the thickness, and the spline count and shaft diameter were also going to work

You need the manual flywheel for the 8 bolt crank.
I dont unerstand the spline count part- you mean ring gear teeth for the starter?
I dont know about the pilot diameter, but I would assume its the same.
Doug904 would be a good source for the swap info.
Try Doug@4.0performance.com
I pulled his e-mail from his site.

Back