Ethanol in high altitude (instead of gas)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ethanol in high altitude (instead of gas)?

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I am going to visit my buddie in Idaho, and he lives at a pretty high elevation.The highest octane gasoline is 87 due to the lack of air.
My thinking is ethanol is 35% O2. people convert engines all the time to ethanol with larger injectors and sometimes better fuel pump. Because you need to get more fuel in there to compensate for the extra oxygen. If you don't it will run too lean.
Can I run ethanol in my tank for the high altitude, and get similar or better performance compared to sea level?
I do have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator around. I could install that and jack up the pressure for ethanol and lower it to normal when I reach lower ground and get gas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I live at 7000 feet, and my acceration sucks.

So, No one knows?

Chew_12 said:
True Dat!

haha, it's great living like right at sea level.. actually, my job here, ground is 22ft above sea level... well, give or take.. that's according to my GPS.

bump for some knowledge.

Chew_12 said:

haha i think the 33s have alot to do with that

metstalker said:
haha i think the 33s have alot to do with that

Well that too. But I do drive down to phoenix which is like 1000 feet or less, and I definately notice a difference.

Back