• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust performance gains??

airjeff

Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.6
I'm looking at doing some upgrades to my X. :) I'm looking at picking up a Gibson exhaust. (looking for something quiet for the wife) Anyone know if there are any performance gains? How much? Less low end TQ? Or are these systems just to sound cool... Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the after market systems available from most aftermarket suppliers are better than the stock system and improve hp & tq numbers.....

I just ordered the JBA headers and exhaust for my '02. Unless you go with headers as well, you likely won't notice much in terms of performance gains as most modern factory exhausts are quite efficient. These days I think of cat back exhausts more as a sound tweak than performance upgrades.

Thomas

airjeff said:
I'm looking at doing some upgrades to my X. :) I'm looking at picking up a Gibson exhaust. (looking for something quiet for the wife) Anyone know if there are any performance gains? How much? Less low end TQ? Or are these systems just to sound cool... Thanks!

I have the MAC Performance cat-back system on mine and it made a nice difference on the sound and a little performance, gave it more of a truck sound. I also added the MAC Performance air induction at the same time as well though.

HotDuck said:
I just ordered the JBA headers and exhaust for my '02. Unless you go with headers as well, you likely won't notice much in terms of performance gains as most modern factory exhausts are quite efficient. These days I think of cat back exhausts more as a sound tweak than performance upgrades.

Thomas

I noticed quite a decent little gain with my 4.6 explorer. I took off about .1 second off my 1/4 mile ET with it. Added an MAC intake and took even more time off. Will it net you 50 horsepower? NO! But it will help if done correctly and not halfassed.

I just added a custom 2.5" exhaust with a Flowmaster and it did give me some high end HP but I lost low end torque. Then I added a K&N open element filter and a Jet Performance chip and got back my torque and then some plus even more HP on top. It might even be up to stock 4.6 HP and torque now.... :p

Anrev said:
I just added a custom 2.5" exhaust with a Flowmaster and it did give me some high end HP but I lost low end torque. Then I added a K&N open element filter and a Jet Performance chip and got back my torque and then some plus even more HP on top. It might even be up to stock 4.6 HP and torque now.... :p

Definately not....But you are putting down more power than stock. When comparing horsepower and what makes a vehicle fast, you got to look under the curve not at peaks alone. Peak power dont mean crap if your average horsepower from the 2000-4000 rpms range is only half as what your peak is. For a true understanding of how a vehicle will perform this is what you have to look at. That is why the Chevy Trailblazer, while putting out 275 peak hp with its V6 engine is still slow as molasses. A better comparison would be average horsepower.

Aldive I'll be buying a Flowmaster muffler soon for my truck, and would like something a little louder than stock, but no a drag car. Does the 70 still have a pretty good tone to it? From Flowmaster's website it seems pretty good for incabin noise, which would be nice. I would still like a little rumble when you're outside the truck though. (Just enough for people to know there's a 'flow under there :))

Would you reommend the 70 or something different (the 50 suv maybe?)

Thanks. Oh and sorry for the thread hi-jack.

PPro said:
Aldive I'll be buying a Flowmaster muffler soon for my truck, and would like something a little louder than stock, but no a drag car. Does the 70 still have a pretty good tone to it? From Flowmaster's website it seems pretty good for incabin noise, which would be nice. I would still like a little rumble when you're outside the truck though. (Just enough for people to know there's a 'flow under there :))

Would you reommend the 70 or something different (the 50 suv maybe?

The 70 is very quiet at highway speeds ( just like I wanted it to be ). Tou can hear it in acceleration, but it is not overly loud.

I highllly recommend the 70, in fact we just installed one ( a single in/dual out with dual tailpipes ) on my son'r new Titan. Same results - quiet at highway speeds and some noise on accelerations.

Good luck ....

aldive said:
Take your truck to a dyno and then look at the curve.

Was this for me or the person above? Until I know who this was directed to I will stay silent.

rocket 5979 said:
Was this for me or the person above? Until I know who this was directed to I will stay silent.

It was not directed to you.

aldive said:
It was not directed to you.

I didnt think it was, I was just making sure.

aldive said:
The 70 is very quiet at highway speeds ( just like I wanted it to be ). Tou can hear it in acceleration, but it is not overly loud.

I highllly recommend the 70, in fact we just installed one ( a single in/dual out with dual tailpipes ) on my son'r new Titan. Same results - quiet at highway speeds and some noise on accelerations.

Good luck ....

I heard the 70 and it sounded really nice. I was very close to getting it until I was talked out of it by a shop who said it will rust. The stock exhaust is staineless steel and will not rust so what is your feeling on putting on a system that you know will cause you problems down the line? I live in NY so I have wet / snowy conditions for a good part of the year.

spta97 said:
I heard the 70 and it sounded really nice. I was very close to getting it until I was talked out of it by a shop who said it will rust. The stock exhaust is staineless steel and will not rust so what is your feeling on putting on a system that you know will cause you problems down the line? I live in NY so I have wet / snowy conditions for a good part of the year.

Buy a muffler that is stainless then. I forget if flowmaster offers theirs i stainless but it is worth a look. I am pretty sure magnaflow offers some of their in stainless. Borla probably does too.

The large Magnaflow 2.5" mufflers I am eyeing are less than $100 each, stainless steel, and available on Ebay for less. Good luck,

It was directed at me.

rocket 5979 said:
Definately not....But you are putting down more power than stock. When comparing horsepower and what makes a vehicle fast, you got to look under the curve not at peaks alone. Peak power dont mean crap if your average horsepower from the 2000-4000 rpms range is only half as what your peak is. For a true understanding of how a vehicle will perform this is what you have to look at. That is why the Chevy Trailblazer, while putting out 275 peak hp with its V6 engine is still slow as molasses. A better comparison would be average horsepower.

You missed my point completely. Believe me when I say I know what your talking about by looking at the curve. And doing so has its place. But I am looking at strictly peaks for comparison purposes only.

When the factory rated these engines they used peak. Thus my "stock" peaks are 210 horsepower at 5,250 rpm and 250 foot-pounds of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. The V8 peaks are 240 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 280 foot-pounds of peak torque at 4,000 rpm.

Now I realize that there is no way that the few thing I have done has added 30 HP. But I am a hell of alot closer to it than I was. With the chip making the biggest difference on the low end and the exhaust and intake tube on the top end.

That being said... My "seat of the pants" feel is that my V6 is alot quicker than my buddys stock V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anrev said:
It was directed at me.

You missed my point completely. Believe me when I say I know what your talking about by looking at the curve. And doing so has its place. But I am looking at strictly peaks for comparison purposes only.

When the factory rated these engines they used peak. Thus my "stock" peaks are 210 horsepower at 5,250 rpm and 250 foot-pounds of peak torque at 4,000 rpm. The V8 peaks are 240 horsepower at 4,750 rpm and 280 foot-pounds of peak torque at 4,000 rpm.

Now I realize that there is no way that the few thing I have done has added 30 HP. But I am a hell of alot closer to it than I was. With the chip making the biggest difference on the low end and the exhaust and intake tube on the top end.

That being said... My "seat of the pants" feel is that my V6 is alot quicker than my buddys stock V8.

I do understand your point but at the same time while it can be used for comparison purposes(just like anything can) it is not a good "real world" comparison. We dont drive our vehicles on the road at only peak rpms, we driver them through the whole powerband and that was why I made my comment as such. Like I said before, most companies advertise their vehicles peak horsepower because if they were to advertise their mean or even average horsepower they would be ashamed. My comment was meant to pull people out of fantasyland and into the reality of things, which is rarely if ever embraced by the motor production industry. Its all about misrepresentation in a manner close enough to correct that it doesnt appear to be absolute untruth. I believe that term is referred to as misdirection.

I am not trying to discount the mods you have performed to your vehicle thusfar, but I do try to keep people on a realistic and accurate track.

The Seat Of The Pants feeling is waay over rated! The reason being is if we have an intake and or exhaust in there then we are more hearing the power than actually feeling it in our a**es. If I went off of SOTP feeling I would think my truck had 400 horsepower because it sounds sooo mean when accelerating that it just has to be quicker than a stock 2004 mustang GT right? Nope, it just sounds meaner and quicker. Perfect example of this is when you hear an 03-04 Cobra accelerating from the outside. all you hear usually is the blower whine. The blower whine while high pitched, isnt in exact harmony with the engine. that is why the stock Cobra's sounds slow is because you hear the blower whine which makes you think the car is revving about 500 rpms less than it really is. Sound plays ALLOT into the SOTP feeling and while I bet your not far away from the power of your buddies stock V8 you also have ot take into account that his truck is quiet as all heck right now while yours has an exhaust and intake... Just trying to make you see it from all angles is all.

Rob

Back