• Register Today It's free!

Explorer: Antenna Unplugged

gr8whitebuffalo

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT 4X4
Remember when your 2011-2013 Explorer was new from the dealer?

Ours (the Great White Buffalo) was so new it didn't even have the antenna screwed in yet. In its place was a little plastic plug (it might have been threaded).
So excited were we to get rolling, that the plug was set aside to install the antenna, and quickly forgotten.

A year later we finally have a need to haul some stuff up on the crossbars, and we've found that the antenna is in the way. Realized this would be a great time to have the little plug to put there instead.

Does anybody know a part number for said plug? Or have one they'd like to mail in exchange for a couple bucks?

If this doesn't work, it'll get the 'ziplock bag and zip tie' treatment.

Thanks from some typical Okies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try the dealership....you may be able to get one for free!

Remember when your 2011-2013 Explorer was new from the dealer?

Ours (the Great White Buffalo) was so new it didn't even have the antenna screwed in yet. In its place was a little plastic plug (it might have been threaded).
So excited were we to get rolling, that the plug was set aside to install the antenna, and quickly forgotten.

A year later we finally have a need to haul some stuff up on the crossbars, and we've found that the antenna is in the way. Realized this would be a great time to have the little plug to put there instead.

Does anybody know a part number for said plug? Or have one they'd like to mail in exchange for a couple bucks?

If this doesn't work, it'll get the 'ziplock bag and zip tie' treatment.

Thanks from some typical Okies.
As Dr Plastic said, talk to your dealership. The new Explorers are shipped to the dealer this way and then the dealer installs the antenna. I would guess that the likely throw the 'plugs' away after the install.
If you remove the antenna, I don't think a ziplock bag will work. There really isn't anything you can put the tie around. I would suggest perhaps some electrical tape might work. Or, a wad of chewing gum.;)
Good luck.

Peter

Or you can just buy a stubby antenna on ebay for like $10.

How is the reception with one of those stubby antennas?

Update:
Used a 5mm bolt with a .8 pitch. Fits like a glove. Also put a rubber O ring on there. Good $1 fix.

Thanks for all the ideas!

2013 explorer anttena

Is this antenna easily removed, by unscrewing it or otherwise? I will be carrying a canoe on top and it would be easier for load and unload moments.
:)

Thanks

Most antennae unscrew at the base. At least when cars were built logically thats how they worked.

Now, I'd be careful...you might need a federal permit to take it off. Can't have drivers going "off the grid", ya know.

Is this antenna easily removed, by unscrewing it or otherwise? I will be carrying a canoe on top and it would be easier for load and unload moments.
:)

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum cojonudo.:wavey:
I have moved you post to this thread and I think it should answer your question.

Peter

Back