• Register Today It's free!

Explorer died while driving

Sjay5203

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I am glad to be apart of this Forum. I am looking foward to interacting with the knowledgeable members to help me and hopefully being able to help others.

now its time to talk about whats going on with my '02 Explorer.

2 mths ago I just left my and drove 3 short blocks from and wham with out warning it died on me. the gauges went over to the right and then nothing. I kept regular maintenance up the only other problem had been the driver side door lock was having issues. sometimes it would lock and would not disengage and others it would not lock.

Now , when it died on me I tried to get a jump from someone and it was a no go. It appeared as though it was not getting a spark or had no gas . I had it towed by AAA and they were telling me that it was my fuel pump. Well, I didnt believe that it was the fp didn't want to tackle the job. I check and replaced starter ,fuel filter , plugs and wires. try to start again w/ no luck. Finally I gave in and went at the fuel pump. It turned out there is no problem with the fuel pump. I'm not sure what could be going on at this point.

any help is greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Not sure where it's located on your 02, but it's in the power distribution block behind the battery on my 94. If it is bad, then the fuel pump will not run. Another possibility is the pcm, which is a little more $. Good luck with it! And welcome to the forum!

check the fuel cutoff on the firewall by the passengers feet first, that i would look at the fuel pump relay, the regulator,and associated wiring,,

it sounds like maybe there is a possibility that the door lock wiring could be shorting out to ground, killing the system,,

Thank you MayJan

Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Not sure where it's located on your 02, but it's in the power distribution block behind the battery on my 94. If it is bad, then the fuel pump will not run. Another possibility is the pcm, which is a little more $. Good luck with it! And welcome to the forum!

Thank you , MayJan

I have not checked the fuel pump relay because I received output from the fuel pump. but , as you mentioned the pcm might be the answer. I am looking into it today.

Thank you

check the fuel cutoff on the firewall by the passengers feet first, that i would look at the fuel pump relay, the regulator,and associated wiring,,

it sounds like maybe there is a possibility that the door lock wiring could be shorting out to ground, killing the system,,

Yes I have check the fuel cutoff with no luck and you know that door lock has been quite a problem. I am definitely looking into it more today. I am also checking the pump relay, the regulator,and associated wiring,, .

Thanks for reponse

I have a question about the anti theft system. Would the problem with the door lock cause the truck to go into Theft mode causing my problems.

That is a possibility, but I don't know enough about the system to give you a definitive answer. Maybe someone with knowledge on the pats system will chime in with an answer! Good luck with it!

The door lock issue is more than likely the actuator for the lock system came unattached from the door. I had to take my mothers 02 sportrac door apart and drill out the rivets that failed and replace them with screws and washers. over time the rivets will pull out of the sheet metal on the door. It is an easy fix but a pia to get to. You can try to press the fuel rail bard (looks like a tire air inlet) and see if it sprays fuel. this would allow you to ruel out fuel delivery issues all to gether. make sure you turn the ignition on to prime the fuel rail. KEEP YOUR FACE CLEAR the last thing you want to do is spray gas in your face. Hope this helps

Welcome to the forum. i dont know much about explorers myself yet so i have no ideas on your problem. good luck though and i hope you can get it figured out.

here is another tip to try. I just came accross this while looking on the fourm. there are a couple of others that are having the same issue. One guy has his in the shop and they have replaced almost everything and still will not start. Check your fuel pump relay. You can swap the heat/AC blower relay and fuel pump relay and see if that works. If it does, then your relay is bad. And welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the input everyone. I am somewhat discouraged. The idea of the PCM is sounding good. I, like rfergsr replaced many parts, checked fuses and relays and put it on the computer with no codes. This is a struggle indeed .

I am still at it.

I wanted to ask if anyone thought that my problem could be the timing chain.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I have moved your thread to the Stock 3rd Gen Sub Forum and changed the title for better exposure.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Did you ever resolve this issue because my 02 XLT is having same problems and I've ruled out everything else. New fuel pump, new relay, inertia switch is good. I'm stumped

Back