Explorer Express X-Spec Handling Pkg Install - Help?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Express X-Spec Handling Pkg Install - Help??

98greyxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA GO UCLA!
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4x2 SOHC
For those of you that have installed the Explorer Express X-Spec handling package. Any helpful hints or feedback?

Pur Pony pretty much gave me a step by step on how to do the lowering kit, and Explorer Express' instructions on those are pretty clear.

Just wondering if there was anything else I should know. I got the whole package... Shocks, rear sway bar, split collets, lowering kit, suspension bumpers, etc... Any ideas on how much time I should expect it to take, or which tasks I should tackle first?

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, no one replied, so I'll go ahead and explain how to do it. Did the whole job today with a couple of buddies.

Part 1: tried following explorer express' instructions on lowering the front. ended up just leaving the truck on the groud and measuring from the from fender lip to the groud, and ended up determining lowering length like that. lowered by jacking up and loosening the torsion bolts located at the end of the torsion bar, located pretty much under the front doors.

Part 2: changed out front shocks. pretty straight forward, had to take the wheels off and pull the mud flap back out of the front wheel wells. FYI, leave the securing straps on the Edelbrocks until after you bolt them in. will save you the trouble of having to compress them to get them to fit.

Part 3: camber adjusters. located across the top of the suspension arm. kind of a pain. had to pull back the wheel well trim as well. tight squeeze. we managed to get a socket wrench stuck in there for 10 minutes. after this, say goodbye to your alignment. Note: you'll need a 21mm deep socket to make it work.

part 4: rear sway bar: simple remove and replace. use the existing hardwarde and assemblies, except for new bushings. you have to remove the lower bolt on the rear shocks as well. the bushings have to be greased up with the included silicone as well. split collets go besides the bushings to keep the sway bar from shifting.

part 5: rear shocks: remove top bolts. drivers side rear shock requires removal of fuel pump tray, which blocks access to the top of the shock. new shocks are tough to get on. we had to use a small 2.25 ton jack to lift the piston into place, since the securing straps had come off.

part 6: lowering blocks: jack up, and support with stands. re-jack up the rear suspension from the rear differential. remove existing U bolts. slip the lowering blocks in between the leaf and the axle. secure with new, longer u bolts. the old u bolts are removed with 19mm deep socket.

make sure to settle the suspension to get accurate measurements of drop height and to make sure bolts don't shift or loosen. that's pretty much it. some parts were quick, some not so. questions?

Please describe how your truck handles and rides since the lowering.

Thanks....

the ride is like night and day from what it used to be like. i'm sure we're all familiar with the X's typical ride. floaty, wallowy, soft. now it's exactly the opposite.

some people have said that they didn't feel much of a difference, but for me i did.

the ride is definitely tighter now. the suspension is harder. bumps are a little more harsh, but nothing major. the huge benefit is that the X corners so much better now. after i finished the install, i happen to be driving down the 110 in Pasadena, which is LA's original freeway. 3 lanes, and plenty of hanging turns. with the new setup, i could hang the turns MUCH better than when the truck was stock.

definitely an improvement over stock. the truck is never going to handle like a mustang, but i'm happy with the improvements. my goal in doing this all was to improve the handling and geometry of the X. don't get me wrong, i love my truck, but it's poor handling really bugged me. i loved its utility and space, i think what i have now is an ideal setup.

Okay man so where are the pics?!? Sounds like you got an awesome set up. Glad everything worked out for you.

Steve

sorry, pics are coming... i actually just got in from washing her, so now i gotta borrow a friend's digital camera. hopefully pics up in the next few days.

Back